Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

public land

eric

I am new to the site and. I am from West Virginia I live in one of the bowhunting only countys. I was just wondering if anyone would give many any ideas on some good public hunting land for deer in southeastern ohio with some nice bucks?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am new to the site and. I am from West Virginia I live in one of the bowhunting only countys. I was just wondering if anyone would give many any ideas on some good public hunting land for deer in southeastern ohio with some nice bucks?

Welcome to the site, Eric.

Don't be surprised if this thread fails to yield any honey holes for you. No offense, man... But showing up and asking for good public land spots with big bucks as your first post won't get you too far. That being said, I can ASSURE you... You can shoot a big buck on ANY public land in Ohio... especially on the Wayne National Forest ground and some of the State Parks ground. But you're going to have to get out there and wear out some boot leather to figure them out. My best advice would be to find a place to stay relatively close to you that overs good accomodations, and spend a few days walking and taking notes.... carry a GPS unit with you. Study topographic maps closely before deciding where to scout. Look for funnels, saddles, hubs.... any topographic feature that looks like it would concentrate the deer traffic. This can/will save you a bunch of time and effort. Good luck.

eric

I didnt expect anyone to tell me where thier honey holes are at. Iwas just wanting some ideas on public land and if thier was any decent size bucks in that area because the further north you go in wv the smaller the bucks get. I am use to hunting some pretty big deer here at home with no gun season since 1977. Thanks for your reply.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didnt expect anyone to tell me where thier honey holes are at. Iwas just wanting some ideas on public land and if thier was any decent size bucks in that area because the further north you go in wv the smaller the bucks get. I am use to hunting some pretty big deer here at home with no gun season since 1977. Thanks for your reply.

I know that... It was just kind of a figure of speach. But seriously... Literally anywhere you go on public land in SE Ohio there are nice bucks running around. I've been going down there for 10 years in a row, and there hasn't been a single year where at least someone in our group didn't see a 140 or better.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to the site Eric.

JB offered some great advise. Hope it pans out for you. The WNF is huge and there should be plenty of room for you to hunt and big bucks to go after. Goodluck

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I live in NW Ohio. There are nice bucks here. I have hunted southern Ohio one week. It offered several nice bucks. Only had one opportunity at a 120-130" buck and passed. Not bad for going in blind. I did have trail camera photos from a guide down there showing me the potential though. I am with JBrown. There can be good bucks in every county in this state. Just need to do a little homework on which area you want to hunt. Once you decide the area you want to hunt, some topographical maps and maybe a scouting trip or two pre-season is what I would recommend.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I greatly apreciate everyones help thanks alot! Anyone interested in southern wv let me know.

Much appreciated. I have heard there are some darn nice deer in some of those bow only counties. True sleeper counties.