Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I wish I had my camera

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I was on my normal drive to work this morning, which takes through the majority of my bow hunting areas, I stop to check out a decent 8pt and beautiful 1.5 year old 6 pt feeding about 100 yds from one of my setups. I watch for a minute then go to pull away only to see a bachelor group of 6 bucks not 50 yards away on the other side of the road. I about crapped. There were 4 definite shooters ranging from 125" 8pt to a 10pt that might go 145". I normally wouldn't even stop and spook them but they wee not even afraid of me. I figured since I was already there I got a good look at them. Best bachelor group I've seen in a couple around here

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I know the feeling Redhunter, yesterday morning I swear I saw, 4 generations of bucks in one bean field...makes it easy to pick out the oldest and biggest buck when he is standing next to his great grandson....I'm still trying to get the iphone through the binoculars picture though! Good luck with your bucks, hope you get a good opportunity at one of 'em.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Sounds like you need to draw them to your side of the road so we can see some pics!

They were headed there I'm sure. Same stretch I took my 160"er 2 years ago and my buddy took a 204"er 5 years ago. My buddy is coming down Sunday for the Leipsic 3D shoot. We're gonna check a camera we've had out in hopes of getting some close-ups of a 150"er. He's been hanging around the other side of the property. I may talk him into moving that cam to this property. Since we started getting rain the bucks have showed up in ridiculous numbers over here. I'm not kidding when I say I've seen 15 different bucks on this stretch compared to maybe 3 does with 2 fawns each. I prefer a buck to be atleast 120" to shoot and I think there may be 6 shooters in those groups and some stud 1.5-2.5 year olds. I'm taking the camera out this week. I haven't mentioned in detail about my preseason sightings for a few years because I did a little too much on OS and I found out about some of the lurkers who know where I hunt and a few of those bucks ended up poached. Luckily the DNR did bust a guy and his son for it. Apparently they Shot 2 studs and tagged them in and headed outta state with them but ended up busted somehow. Never really found out the specifics. Anymore, I figure the poachers are gonna poach no matter what. It's very easy in our area with all the field edges and woodlots butting up to the rural roads.