Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Pre season Scouting Videos.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I was about 300 yards. They walked out of a creek line and were browsing around. Filming from the truck. He's a hell of a 10. He'll be a booner next year but it would be mighty hard to sit on my hands this year if he hung around under the stand. Lol.

No way in hell anyone passes that deer. I don't give a shit what anyone says. NOBODY passes him.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah I agree, BUT the day I start passing 160 gross scoring bucks is the day I either have my head examined or I start hunting with a butterfly net. In other words it ain't happening even though my wife would register me as a deerhunting nut and would say I would be a great study project.Rotflmao

Seeing what your saying though JD. If he does make it..........look the FUGG OUT! Booner prolly!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agrees with you guys. Hell of a deer. But I've seen two booners in the last month on this property. Hard to shoot a 10 with so much potential when you can try and hunt those two. And if the two don't fall there will be 3 next year. What a problem to have right. Crazy as it may sound and three years ago I would have shot him twice for good measure. But it's about the property and maximizing potential.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I agrees with you guys. Hell of a deer. But I've seen two booners in the last month on this property. Hard to shoot a 10 with so much potential when you can try and hunt those two. And if the two don't fall there will be 3 next year. What a problem to have right. Crazy as it may sound and three years ago I would have shot him twice for good measure. But it's about the property and maximizing potential.

Now your starting to see the big picture. I'm guilty myself of shooting bucks that needed a couple more years and then feel like crap for a few days later. You shoot what makes you happy but when you hunt areas that have good potential and good genetics in it why not try and kill one of the big boys. If you eat a few tags so what. Its all about getting out there and doing what you love to do. I used to be real good friends with an older guy and he has gone 12 years without killing one...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Now your starting to see the big picture. I'm guilty myself of shooting bucks that needed a couple more years and then feel like crap for a few days later. You shoot what makes you happy but when you hunt areas that have good potential and good genetics in it why not try and kill one of the big boys. If you eat a few tags so what. Its all about getting out there and doing what you love to do. I used to be real good friends with an older guy and he has gone 32 years without killing one...

You never told us you where friends with Coonie

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You never told us you where friends with Coonie

Lmao, I would have agreed but he said 12 years not 21 years!:smiley_coolpeace:

Point well taken Joe and JD. Point well taken. Hope you both bust one of those big boys and not get tempted. I know I would be contemplating an arrow lane if I saw him walking my way. Potential or not! Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think most of us get it, but most of us have a hard time fathoming it. It is all about taking the top end percentage. Top 10-20% of what YOUR area holds is what I am looking at. For my area it is usually 140-150" gross. Occasionally see or hear about a bigger one in the area. The "Nice 10" I have pictures of is a perfect example. I have pictures of this deer the last 3 years. He was at least 3.5 at the time of the first pics. Ric and some of the others were thinking 140ish. If a 6.5yr old buck is only sitting at 140ish, you don't pass. Not in MY area. lol

Good luck holding back Joe. That would be a true test of self control while he is feeding in a relaxed state at 25yds.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
............especially not knowing if you'll even see one of the booners let alone get a shot at one! This goes back to what JD was alluding too about going years of eating your buck tag. Like Phil said, many of us are in the same boat, this buck represents the top 1 to 2% of our deer population as far as maturity and antler growth so it is with 100% certainty every swinging dick carrying a weapon will shoot at him. Lol

I hope he does get thru this season cuz he is gonna be a monster if he does!

Oh, you can tell he's mature already not by his crown but his mannerisms and cautionary glances at Joe proves he'd be a quality adversary to try and get on the ground.IMHO

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I didn't get a look at his body. But I would think for the area he's a good 4 year old. The tall 10 is 4.. The wide 10 is 5. And tank is probably 6. The tall and wide 10s are all they will ever be. I would rather shoot them at 140 than this buck at 155. To me it's potential. As much as I loved shooting bankshot it nags at me what he would be this year. He would have been a booner. For my first p&y he's an awesome trophy. Biggest deer I've ever shot. But fact is i cut him short. I don't want to cut another one short just to shoot a big deer. Both the wide and tall 10s are trophys in anyone's book and need shot. I could sleep better knowing i shot a 140 inch deer at max potential than a 155 that has a shot at holding 170 nex year. In Vinton county I would shoot every arrow I have at that big 10. But if he gets close this year I'll have to throw something at him to make him go away then cuss myself the whole way home.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Can I volunteer to shoot the old cull bucks ? Just sayin lmao

J/K of course.

You guys are in the top 1% when it comes to the giants of the state. I honestly have no idea what I would do if I was in your guys shoes at least for the first year or so because it would be like winning the lottery. I guess if I knew I could hunt the grounds for years to come and not worry much about the IF's then my mind set would change and I could settle in and do as you guys are doing and only go after the bucks at their PEAK potential.

Wish you guys the best of luck this season and I can't wait to see what falls to the arrow. Keep the pics rolling because that is the only way the majority of us will EVER see bucks of this caliber and I for one LOVE it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I can totally understand your reasoning Joe. It's definitely based on what the age and genetic structure of a hunters stomping grounds are and the % chance the mature bucks in that area has to reach their full potential. In my area he doesn't get a pass in your area he does. Goodluck and I hope you or JD is on my team this season! Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Both the wide and tall 10s are trophys in anyone's book and need shot. I could sleep better knowing i shot a 140 inch deer at max potential than a 155 that has a shot at holding 170 nex year.

Yeah that is what I was trying to say about the Nice 10 in my pictures. lol You still have a good problem on your hands and I know you have admitted it on here more than once. Enjoy it Joe!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah that is what I was trying to say about the Nice 10 in my pictures. lol You still have a good problem on your hands and I know you have admitted it on here more than once. Enjoy it Joe!

I have to constantly force myself to get my head around it. It's literally a battle, like the good angle and the bad one on your shoulder. Passing on the tall 8 last year was the hardest thing I've ever done in the deer woods other than shooting bankshot. which is irony in itself. Lol