Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Pre season Scouting Videos.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How far do you guys think a buck can hear you? This will make you think twice before unwrapping that candy in the stand. This video isn;t going to stay up long as it shows some scenery.

[video=youtube;lSOoZVfEAqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOoZVfEAqs&list=HL1343105121&feature=mh_lolz[/video]

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Holy smokes......about how far do you think that was??

530 yards.. Notice how the sound takes over a second to reach him. I didn't caw that loud either, I was right behind the camera.

Really makes you think about stuff when you're in the stand.. like zippers on your pack, unscrewing a bottle top, even the vibrating of a phone when texting. I bet they can hear that stuff 100 yards away even in the woods.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What country is that? :smiley_crocodile:

Kansas lol.. Make no mistake though. They still have plenty of places to hide.. When I pulled up i glassed one small buck.. I just so happened to see a brown spot in the beans, and another, and another.. He and two other bucks we're bedded in the beans with only their racks poking up. In a couple weeks they would have been completely hidden. I guarantee if it was season they would have watched me walk to my stand, then stood up and went the other way when I was gone. Tactical little fuggers..

Last edited:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
That last one didn't make me seasick like the first one, lmao That camera must be decent as I thought you were closer. From gun season on he would be fair game for me.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I really enjoyed that video! I would shoot that buck, but what type of field is that they are eating out of?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That last one didn't make me seasick like the first one, lmao That camera must be decent as I thought you were closer. From gun season on he would be fair game for me.

Well it was right at 9:00 at night. 530 yards away. And the cam was in digital zoom at that point. It has a 30x optical and 55x digital zoom. The image degrades significantly once in digital zoom. At that distance even on a tripod the wind makes the image shake. Notice when I zoomed back the image was significantly better..

530 yards.. Notice how the sound takes over a second to reach him. I didn't caw that loud either, I was right behind the camera.

Really makes you think about stuff when you're in the stand.. like zippers on your pack, unscrewing a bottle top, even the vibrating of a phone when texting. I bet they can hear that stuff 100 yards away even in the woods.

Man that is unbelievable!! Sure does open your eyes knowing you didn't even make that loud of a noise. Makes you think twice about reaching in the pack for that candy bar that's for sure!!

buckstar25

T-county
Cool video and not discrediting the noise factor, but I gotta ask. How is it a guy can sit down pull a sammich out of his pack, open a can of soda, have a bag of chips. Then if he is really daring, light a smoke and a 180" buck walks right to him?? And I AIN'T THAT GUY!!!!

Haha....again cool video Jack and it does make ya think

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool video and not discrediting the noise factor, but I gotta ask. How is it a guy can sit down pull a sammich out of his pack, open a can of soda, have a bag of chips. Then if he is really daring, light a smoke and a 180" buck walks right to him?? And I AIN'T THAT GUY!!!!

Haha....again cool video Jack and it does make ya think

Well I think that depends on the number of variables most notably the tolerance level of that deer and the distance away when he was making the noise. If the buck is walking in a certain direction we have all seen they can actually move pretty far sometimes. In that situation him eating a sandwich five minutes ago the deer may have been out of the sound range or simply discarded it as a nonthreatening sound. I think this scenario would more likely happen during the rut.

But if you have a buck that is moving more cautiously through the woods taking his time like they often do I think he is more apt to not simply discard the sound but to go around it or hold tight and listen for a while.

Either way the main point here is that even when we think we are being super quiet odds a deer can hear us a lot further than we can see them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Incredible stuff, Jose. That right there is yet another reason why I ditched the wrist-strap style release and went to the Stan... No clanging buckle or noisy velcro.

buckstar25

T-county
Haha Jack, yeah I was more venting than anything! Friggin guys drive me nuts when I hear those stories about the smoke and coffee shots!

I think it's more of the latter in most cases, if you are lucky enough to catch a buck, or any deer coming or going to bed your chances of spooking them with sound are pretty good given the fact they feel safe and know exactly what's going on.