Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Right split brow buck: TOO shoot or not TOO shoot?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not much to talk here because of my boo boo last year. my "heat of the moment" mistake prob takes some of my credibility and I understand that. With that said, I'd roll the dice that he may survive another year.

I'm with the masses here. This might be the best thing about trail cameras. It's not the scouting aid, but the ability to analyze without a bow in your hands. Now when you see him you will recognize him and be able to pass on the temptation.
He's a really nice buck and not many people will pass on him. I just hope he stays in your area and doesn't wander off too far.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love how everyone on this site can be honest and not all bitter, obviously everyone has their own opinion. I would pass him bc he will be a DANDY next year imo. Its not like it would be your first p&y buck and theres def better potential with the double split brow buck. I have the gut feeling reading this post that if you shot him you would be disappointed.

Yep. Sometimes you screw up and the guys need to slap you in the head and say "130"? Phil! What are you smokin?" I can take it. I am glad I posted him now. Some great points. I really do think this deer could turn into a dandy as well. I think you are right Rutin. . . I would be disappointed.

Cotty- You have lost no credibility with anyone but yourself. I don't remember one person knocking you for the deer you shot but yourself. That was a nice buck man. We don't keep you around for your hunting anyway. It is hard to find a good pivot man. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I LOVE this buck! I love that split brow! I HATE what I am seeing. I am seeing bachelor groups. He is a darn nice deer, but he and another one seem to run together most. I am afraid to say it, but I think this one and the other are two of the younger bucks in this group. Here are some more pictures. All I am saying is, it is going to be darn tough to let him walk. I will muster up the self discipline somehow if I get the opportunity though. I pray he makes it another year or two!

Attachments

• 145.jpg
    145.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 184.jpg
    184.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 180.jpg
    180.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 186.jpg
    186.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 159

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's got some great potential, Phil! But once that velvet peels off I don't think it'll be as hard as you think to pass him up, though. He could be a beast in another year or so!

jeremy44230

Medina County
He's got some great potential, Phil! But once that velvet peels off I don't think it'll be as hard as you think to pass him up, though. He could be a beast in another year or so!

Good point.. Very nice deer though! He could be something special in a year. Good luck passing him... If you can!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Its in the eye of the beholder man. With that said, If you have to ask he likely will no make you happy and will leave that nagging what if.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Its in the eye of the beholder man. With that said, If you have to ask he likely will no make you happy and will leave that nagging what if.

I agree 100% with all these comments. I think I would be a little disappointed, I think he has great potential, and I think the velvet peeling will be a big disappointing experience. "Eye of the beholder" is spot on as well. He has a beauty of a rack in my opinion. Just not quite there. Ya think getting a few more pictures of other deer helps make your mind up? Insert sarcasm smiley here! I am like a kid at Christmas tonight. Going to be a long stretch to wait a month for the next check. Might pick a rainy day in 2-3weeks rather than a month.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good ol' Right Split has proven to be the most photogenic buck I have ever had on camera. Doesn't seem to bother him at all. Hundreds of pictures of him this year. Here are the latest. He has shed his velvet. Beautiful deer in my opinion, but he definitely gets a pass from me. I have seen several others which get my blood pumping more than he does. I saw him on the hoof as I drove my truck in yesterday. He popped out of the edge of a corn field and hopped into the woods. First view my heart jumped out of my chest, as I watched him take a couple bounds away it settled back down and I enjoyed watching him. I know for a fact it will be the same feeling from the stand. Great buck, just not quite there.

File uploads failed. Will post them when Joe gives this techtard some advice. lol

Attachments

• 224 (1280x960) (800x600).jpg
    224 (1280x960) (800x600).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 159
  • 217 (1280x960) (800x600).jpg
    217 (1280x960) (800x600).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 292 (1280x960) (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    292 (1280x960) (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ted- I am taking my chances.

Chad- You come up with some good stuff!

Taylor- Shouldn't you be in school? lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
thanks for the laugh Jesse! That was freakin hilarious. Was that supposed to be me or "Tay Tay"?

Taylor- I am working. lol Worked last night on paperwork until 2am. Got the kids off to school. Got 2 guys out mowing. My Dad just stopped over to help me work on a project. Buh-bye TOO until tonight. lol

Jesse- unknown history. First I have seen him was this year.