Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Right split brow buck: TOO shoot or not TOO shoot?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Given three other choices on this property, I am standing my ground. This guy gets a pass from me. LOVE the split brow! It is a thing of beauty. Just can't bring myself to do it. It truly is more about the hunt than it is about the kill for me. If I can put myself in position to kill him, yet watch him walk by, that is as good as killing him. Even with limited time to hunt this year, I am not going to find a weak moment that changes my mind. He popped out of a cornfield last camera check while I was driving along the perimeter in my truck. He was a beaut, but on the hoof, he just didn't do it for me. Next year or the year after should allow him to become one of those deer that is really something special. At least I hope so AND if he makes it. lol

He is fairly narrow, lacks tine length, and has short main beams. I haven't tried to score him since shedding velvet, but I would think upper teens to lower 120's max. Add 10-15" to the character in that split brow tine and I would likely be singing a different tune.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 134

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I think he's a pretty nice deer for the area Phil. 3.5 IMO, quite possibly a 2.5 if you have never seen him before. They can blow up from 1.5 to 2.5. Sure, he's worth a pass if you have better deer. But if he's the best deer, is that what it's about for you? I don't think you'll want to shoot him from the tree though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think he's a pretty nice deer for the area Phil. 3.5 IMO, quite possibly a 2.5 if you have never seen him before. They can blow up from 1.5 to 2.5. Sure, he's worth a pass if you have better deer. But if he's the best deer, is that what it's about for you? I don't think you'll want to shoot him from the tree though.

Pretty much. Just try for the top end my area offers. He is around number 5 on this property so he gets a pass. Beauty of a deer, but I will take a pass on him this year. Not trying to be cocky, just very fortunate in my selection this year.