Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hanging stands...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got one hung behind the house as an observation stand. After sitting in it a few times, I see it needs to be about 10' further up the tree in order to be less visible. I plan on hanging another observation stand on another farm this weekend overlooking a secluded bean field, as well as a set of sticks between two bean fields that I can climb up and glass the fields while wearing my lineman's belt.

I probably won't hang any stands until late August once I get a better idea of what is out there, and where they are coming from. I've got four sets of 20' sticks that I plan on putting up with a few screw-in steps to get me up a little higher, coupled with a Millennium Receiver. I plan on using the My LW/Muddy Sticks with my Muddy stand as my mobile setup this year, and I plan on being more mobile than I have been in the past years. I need to get on the ball and get some cameras out and some evening scouting done, or I'm gonna be unprepared come the end of September...

***EDIT***
I also have plans over my next seven day break to build a platform for my groundblind here behind the house. I need to get out and decide how high I'm gonna build it, but I was thinking 5-6ft high would be just fine. The field rolls around the edge, cresting in the center of the field, and I would like to be up just high enough to see over the crest of the hill, and be a little higher up than the deer's eye level. Gonna put in in about 20 yards up the field edge from where the wife killed her buck last year.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Scattered storms and showers moved through Medina County this afternoon... So I took advantage of the cloud cover and rain and headed out to hang a stand. It's a long walk in to the spot I had in mind, so I was thankful for the (relatively) cooler air temperature. I still sweated my ass off but it wasn't horrible. I hung a Millennium bracket up in a maple tree that has five trunks. It overlooks a heavy-traffic creek crossing, and my bracket is on the back tree trunk... so my surrounding cover up in the air is superb. I'm really looking forward to hunting this spot. While scouting this property during January and February, this creek crossing looked like a cow path.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent choice of tree and day to do it Jim. Sounds like a great location as well! Hope it pans out for you!