Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hanging stands...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We were showing what not to do

Sorry man, didn't mean to point out the negative stuff but we'd hate to see one of you young fellas get hurt.
I know it's a pain to have one on when you're going up and down the ladder or trying to hang one of them stands, but think of what could happen if ya fall. Everyytime I go up a tree I think of my wife and kids and I try to stay extra careful and safe. You and Moundy should think of your parents. Be safe for them if nothing else.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hangin while wearing his too shirt.

I appreciate you guys wearing the gear but please wear your safety harnesses. The 60+ years you guys have left on this earth is a very long time to spend in a wheelchair. And that's IF you're lucky enough to end up in a wheelchair.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I know, I really do need to wear a harness, I just never do. And after seeing dales video I definitely shOuld. It just always ends up left at home for whatever reason. I'm just a dumb 18 year old I guess.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just thought I would throw this out there.

If any of you guys need an extra hand hanging stands or trimming lanes let me know. I'm usually off on weekends and am usually up for a road trip. The offer applies to you guys that are still cleaning up storm damage as well. I have a hitch on my jeep if needed.

I would need some notice though, a day or two anyway. just shoot me a pm.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got my first stand in the air! Feels good, all trimmed and ready to rip. Two more are all ready stepped and just need to stick a stand in. Then two more to clear and raise then I'm done. Ahead of schedule so far.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
x2 on that. The stand diablo and i hung is more or less a scouting stand to watch over the feild and see where the deer are coming out at. I'd say by the time season comes around, or a little into season it might be moved. The deer change their patterns too much in my opinion.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Have one stand still hung from last season. Just need to tweak it a bit. I have another stand I need to try and get put up someplace next weekend. Just need to narrow down where I want to put it and get it done.

Then I have the beast of a climber I can use as well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hung one with 3 days of season left last year. Killed a big mature doe with 20 min of daylight left on the last day of the season last year.

Pre-season? I want to have all mine hung the first part of August. Probably pushing it but I know the next couple weeks will not allow. I am slammed with work right now.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I might be a sissy, but that first climb up them steps hanging the first set of stands I always get the butterflies. I wear a harness everytime, and I still get nervous. Please wear em you youngins...Its not worth it. Anytime I hear someone not wearing one, I show em dales video. All it takes is a one little mishap. Dont mean to lecture, but being able to go home is #1

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I might be a sissy, but that first climb up them steps hanging the first set of stands I always get the butterflies. I wear a harness everytime, and I still get nervous. Please wear em you youngins...Its not worth it. Anytime I hear someone not wearing one, I show em dales video. All it takes is a one little mishap. Dont mean to lecture, but being able to go home is #1

Same here... gotta admit, my butthole puckers up.

As far as my stands go, I have two ladder stands already in place from last season that I left up. I just have to do routine maintenance cheks on them. I replaced all the factory bolts with stainless steel so they usually hold up better, but I always check the straps and then clear lanes.

I have 3 hangons I need to place yet. One will go in the same setup as a ladderstand to act as a abuddy stand for one of my boys. The other 2 will be exclusive "me" stands in the deeper woods. I have one place pinpointed I think. The other is still TBA.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I get this damn bathroom done and baseball over with, and my ass is hanging stands like a madman! I have 6-7 to hang right now. Hoping I can catch a cool weekend mid-August to do that and my plots...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

That's the one thing I hate about mobile sticks and stands.. If you hang a permanent set with stackable sticks and a hang on I'm still leery of it for a couple uses.. Climb up, keep one hand on the seat or the tree and turn around, sit down slowly etc.. But after a few times hunting that setup you get comfortable and can stand, turn around, and sit down without even thinking about it..

With a mobile rig you NEVER get to reach that comfort because odds are your hanging and hunting the same time. Then taking it out with you.. Not to mention that portable sticks are scary enough. That stick slips an inch to bite in and I about drop a crap in my drawers every time. lmao