Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 broadhead selections

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I really don't care what any of you all shoot, long as its sharp and flys true. Zack sure doesn't have problems killing deer with rages and likes em. Everyone has their own preference as to what they find important in a head. Personally I think broadheads are praised after success and blamed after failure to often . In reality usually its the shooter that I'd up. Now, as far as a broadhead saving you on poor shots I see both sides. If I hit em forward and contact major bone a solid fixed blade helps. But lets say you hit one back which also happens alot? I would be wanting to put a big ol hole and cause as much trauma as possible. Odds are it ain't gonna bleed much unless u luck into liver. But luckily deer hit back normally don't travel far before bedding . Leave em go for a long time normally results in a short trail . Picking up blood too soon results in a dead lost deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I really don't care what any of you all shoot, long as its sharp and flys true. Zack sure doesn't have problems killing deer with rages and likes em. Everyone has their own preference as to what they find important in a head. Personally I think broadheads are praised after success and blamed after failure to often . In reality usually its the shooter that I'd up. Now, as far as a broadhead saving you on poor shots I see both sides. If I hit em forward and contact major bone a solid fixed blade helps. But lets say you hit one back which also happens alot? I would be wanting to put a big ol hole and cause as much trauma as possible. Odds are it ain't gonna bleed much unless u luck into liver. But luckily deer hit back normally don't travel far before bedding . Leave em go for a long time normally results in a short trail . Picking up blood too soon results in a dead lost deer.

I understand what you're saying about being in the guts. But also understand a 4 blade head with a 1 1/8 cut diameter actually cuts more flesh than a 2 inch 2 blade. 25% more actually. And saying that a 2 inch blade has more possibility of hitting something because it's a half inch longer on each side. A 4 blade has that same advantage as it has 2 additional half inch blades that increase the odds also. So trauma wise it still lacks behind due to cut surface wound trauma. But ties imo with the ability to nick something important.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I understand what you're saying about being in the guts. But also understand a 4 blade head with a 1 1/8 cut diameter actually cuts more flesh than a 2 inch 2 blade. 25% more actually. And saying that a 2 inch blade has more possibility of hitting something because it's a half inch longer on each side. A 4 blade has that same advantage as it has 2 additional half inch blades that increase the odds also. So trauma wise it still lacks behind due to cut surface wound trauma. But ties imo with the ability to nick something important.
In theory they cause the same trauma. But real world experiences say otherwise. A 2" hole ain't gonna seal up as easy or plug with fat or intestine. I don't shoot rages, never have, never will. But when a friend calls and says they hit one back I find myself hoping they shoot rage. Blood trail and recovery of deer hit back is way way higher with rages based on my experience in the woods. I am not saying rages or mechanical are better....but to say they are less effective than a well built fixed blade in every situation isn't true.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In theory they cause the same trauma. But real world experiences say otherwise. A 2" hole ain't gonna seal up as easy or plug with fat or intestine. I don't shoot rages, never have, never will. But when a friend calls and says they hit one back I find myself hoping they shoot rage. Blood trail and recovery of deer hit back is way way higher with rages based on my experience in the woods. I am not saying rages or mechanical are better....but to say they are less effective than a well built fixed blade in every situation isn't true.

I would disagree. You're assuming the head even makes an exit wound in the first place though. lol. Like I said earlier there is a reason they have a 40ke head with only a 1 1/2 cut. A gaping 1 inch diameter hole is far less likely to plug than a 2 inch lateral slice. There are plenty of videos out there of people shooting various containers of liquid with rages and 3- 4 blade heads both fixed and mechanical. One that comes to mind right off the bat is the commercial for Tekan T3's. Granted that's marketing, and only shows the ability of liquid to pass through more freely. But a hole will always be better than a slice. There is a reason most of the bayonets in the world are triangular in shape rather than like a double edged sword.

I've helped buddies track more deer than I've ever shot. I just love blood trailing deer and have been known to drive 2 hours just to help. Or even leave my stand early to go track one. I once drove an hour to meet a guy on OS who i had never met just to track a deer. Ask TripleA88, I'm like a bloodhound. I have tracked deer shot with rages, 2 of the 3 we're not recovered. 1 was seen later still alive. I have however found every deer except one i've ever tracked that was shot with a 3-4 blade head. on a perfect by the book broadside shot rages are fine. Get outside their niche and you're in trouble. In that regard I will agree.. They will outperform a 3-4 blade head if you shoot a deer rib to rib. But when it's rib to rib you can kill them with a field tip. trust me, I've seen that happen too. Some may want to wait for that shot or take that chance. I don't. And will shoot a better all around BH.

runhunter

Jackalope, I tend to agree. You center punch one, with a pencil eraser and it'll do enough damage to kill. I shot Rage's for years, and when I made a good shot, absolutely devastating. I cannot deny, argue or even attempt to dispute it. I had exit holes, but not consistently. When the shot isn't so good, well, that's another story. I switched this year to the Solid Broadhead that just came out. I'm not saying that is the end all cure all broadhead, but it's sharp as can be, it's durable, and overall, I think it's a better all purpose broadhead than any mechanical I've shot. I may shoot a deer and hate the way this new head performs, however, it flies great and has lived up to everything I expected prior to ordering. Only 1 test left to pass, and if it doesn't perform like I hope it does, I'll be sure to find another fixed BH before I go back to a mechanical. I dont expect any issues though

Kaiser878

ohio
I would disagree. You're assuming the head even makes an exit wound in the first place though. lol. Like I said earlier there is a reason they have a 40ke head with only a 1 1/2 cut. A gaping 1 inch diameter hole is far less likely to plug than a 2 inch lateral slice. There are plenty of videos out there of people shooting various containers of liquid with rages and 3- 4 blade heads both fixed and mechanical. One that comes to mind right off the bat is the commercial for Tekan T3's. Granted that's marketing, and only shows the ability of liquid to pass through more freely. But a hole will always be better than a slice. There is a reason most of the bayonets in the world are triangular in shape rather than like a double edged sword.

I've helped buddies track more deer than I've ever shot. I just love blood trailing deer and have been known to drive 2 hours just to help. Or even leave my stand early to go track one. I once drove an hour to meet a guy on OS who i had never met just to track a deer. Ask TripleA88, I'm like a bloodhound. I have tracked deer shot with rages, 2 of the 3 we're not recovered. 1 was seen later still alive. I have however found every deer except one i've ever tracked that was shot with a 3-4 blade head. on a perfect by the book broadside shot rages are fine. Get outside their niche and you're in trouble. In that regard I will agree.. They will outperform a 3-4 blade head if you shoot a deer rib to rib. But when it's rib to rib you can kill them with a field tip. trust me, I've seen that happen too. Some may want to wait for that shot or take that chance. I don't. And will shoot a better all around BH.

All my buddies (Rage shooters) call when they shoot deer also....but its to help drag them out....Tracking is never really an issue, since they always fall within sight.

Last year I started something new.....As soon as I shoot a deer I plug my ears and close my eyes.....That way I have to find the blood trail and track it......Watching them fall over within 60 yards gets kinda boring after a while.....I asked a few of my buddies to start doing this also...this will be their first year doing it!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All my buddies (Rage shooters) call when they shoot deer also....but its to help drag them out....Tracking is never really an issue, since they always fall within sight.

Last year I started something new.....As soon as I shoot a deer I plug my ears and close my eyes.....That way I have to find the blood trail and track it......Watching them fall over within 60 yards gets kinda boring after a while.....I asked a few of my buddies to start doing this also...this will be there first year doing it!

And the first time that costs someone a trophy, I'm gonna laugh my ass off!!! :smiley_clap: There is such a thing as being TOO confident and it has bit a lot of people in the ass over the course of time. Anything mechanical, can and will fail given enough time, so don't fool yourself in to thinking you are above that. I hate to see you lose the deer of a lifetime because you were TOO big for your britches at the time. I trust my broadheads and I'm not about to pull a stunt like that. There are no absolutes in this sport...

Kaiser878

ohio
This was the last deer I didnt have a clean pass through on with a Rage.... I Was still shooting a mathews dxt at 60 lbs then...... this was 2008.

This is why I dont really worry to much about exit holes....If you cant follow this, you should probably just hang it up. Is there something wrong with only having one hole?? Because 1 hole or two holes.....they all bleed out like this....

Kaiser878

ohio
And the first time that costs someone a trophy, I'm gonna laugh my ass off!!! :smiley_clap: There is such a thing as being TOO confident and it has bit a lot of people in the ass over the course of time. Anything mechanical, can and will fail given enough time, so don't fool yourself in to thinking you are above that. I hate to see you lose the deer of a lifetime because you were TOO big for your britches at the time. I trust my broadheads and I'm not about to pull a stunt like that. There are no absolutes in this sport...

You sound as if your speaking from experience?

Not to big for my britches....Confident in my equipment is all.....Has never let me down yet....I have personally made errors....but my equipment has not....Avoiding dumb shots is the most valuable piece of information I can give to anyone while bow hunting

Why would you laugh? Thats not very nice...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Last deer I shot with a Rage...

Big old nanny doe standing 33 yards broadside at eye level. Hit her just a tad high with a 431 grain arrow going 275 fps and got one hole (slit) that sealed up with fat inside the first few yards. Absolutely no blood trail after the first 10 yards. I found her by walking to the last place I saw/heard her and she was laying within a few yards of that point.

It can and will happen dude. You are smart enough to know that...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
this is the thread that will/cant die! hahaha

Kaiser that is a super impressive blood trail!

Jesse i agree with you, nothing is unbreakable.

I honestly think this whole arguement comes down to to many variables to argue one way or another.

Gunna have to add a new one to the old saying: "never talk about religion, politics, finances or broadheads while drinking or in this case sober"

Kaiser878

ohio
Why would I laugh? Because I will always laugh at someone who fails at something do to their own over confidence. That's humorous in my book...

See thats the difference between you and I.....Just remember....Those who live in glass houses shalt not cast stones....I havent laughed at you.Actually just the opposite......Id appreciate you not threatening to laugh at me!

If there is anything I am not......its over confident...I know anything can happen.....I know I have been very lucky...I dont expect to shoot a big deer every year...I go in expecting the worst......you know that

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not talking about the act of killing big deer here Zach. What I will find humorous is the guy (you or whoever) who thinks he has the world by the balls to the point that he no longer needs to watch or listen to a hit deer run away. Karma is a mother and the second I would do that, I'd lose a deer. So when your buddies decide this year that they have the bull by the tail and they no longer need to do one of the most important things in hunting, then they lose a deer because of it, I'll find that funny. There is an inside joke in my circle that simply states: "You did it to yourself..." and that applies to this situation. It is one thing to be confident in your equipment, it is another thing to be so confident you cross over to cocky and at that point, things will go wrong. Life has a way of grounding people and closing your eyes and plugging your ears is a great way to see that come to fruition...

Kaiser878

ohio
I'm not talking about the act of killing big deer here Zach. What I will find humorous is the guy (you or whoever) who thinks he has the world by the balls to the point that he no longer needs to watch or listen to a hit deer run away. Karma is a mother and the second I would do that, I'd lose a deer. So when your buddies decide this year that they have the bull by the tail and they no longer need to do one of the most important things in hunting, then they lose a deer because of it, I'll find that funny. There is an inside joke in my circle that simply states: "You did it to yourself..." and that applies to this situation. It is one thing to be confident in your equipment, it is another thing to be so confident you cross over to cocky and at that point, things will go wrong. Life has a way of grounding people and closing your eyes and plugging your ears is a great way to see that come to fruition...

They are only doing it because I have asked them to. Its not their fault......I have put the burden on them!

THis is painful.......

Ok let me help you here.....Do you think for one second I would shoot a deer and close my eyes and plug my ears????? Do you think at any point in time I could ask my buddies to do the same, and they would listen to me and do it???

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Wow.. That's a nice blood trail in the snow Kaiser... Here's one from a brow bear with thick fur.. Slick trick. ;)

How about a Muskox

Facts are facts. A solid fixed blade head is an all around better head..

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

From Rages own website

"large game animals such as elk, moose, buffalo, etc. you may want to consider using the Rage 40 KE ." (1 1/2 inches)

Funny.. I never saw such a thing on slick tricks website.. Just pictures of all sorts of dead North American and African game.