Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 broadhead selections

Kaiser878

ohio
HEre it is all assembled again....and you can see the joint I speak of...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
WOW, what did that deer do after the shot joe? Did it bolt off far or did it drop pretty quick? Busting that joint in 3 pieces had to drop that deer quick.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I mean the knuckle..your arrow hit the shaft of the bone. THe end of the leg bone which is the epiphysis and the actual socket! Thats the only thing that is gonig to keep a rage from entering well on a deer.....ANd it is very simple....You just dont aim at it! I have shot Rages and blown through leg bones on exit on does as well.... Which trashes the blades without a doubt every time!

Ohh so now it's the knuckle.. lol.. I don't care what you say kaiser. I've seen enough videos of a rage that didn't it through a beautiful broadside shot to know a rage has a slim chance of making it. And that is the reason I will never shoot one. I'm going to remove that variable. They don't hold a candle to a solid fixed blade head. The bottom line is you'll never see muzzy or slick trick be forced to come out with a 40 KE broadhead. I don't really care to argue with you about it kaiser. It should be pretty obvious to anyone what the point is. A "what if" variable "weakness" has been removed.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
WOW, what did that deer do after the shot joe? Did it bolt off far or did it drop pretty quick? Busting that joint in 3 pieces had to drop that deer quick.

Jumped to mule kick, landed on her face, kicked around and got up and ran / stumbled about 5 yards, crashed flopping around, dead..

Kaiser878

ohio
Ohh so now it's the knuckle.. lol.. I don't care what you say kaiser. I've seen enough videos of a rage that didn't it through a beautiful broadside shot to know a rage has a slim chance of making it. And that is the reason I will never shoot one. I'm going to remove that variable. They don't hold a candle to a solid fixed blade head. The bottom line is you'll never see muzzy or slick trick be forced to come out with a 40 KE broadhead. I don't really care to argue with you about it kaiser. It should be pretty obvious to anyone what the point is. A "what if" variable "weakness" has been removed.
I have always said the knuckle.. thats what I meant when I said the joint...

I dont care if you wanna argue with me or not.....I didnt really think we were arguing....Just having a friendly debate.....but guess not.....

Never did I say they were as strong as a fixed blade........which they are not i know this....But they are far from junk......Thats the point i Was trying to make.....

You eliminate most of the variables by making ethical shots. ....bottom line.....In the past I have been guilty of taking shots I probably sohuldnt have. Got lucky on most but didnt on a couple..... I learned from that.... IT doesnt matter what is on the end of my arrow.....I am going to kill deer...... BEcause my arrow is gonig to hit where I want it to.......Unless there are variables outside of my power (like deer movement) that changes this....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In all fairness to Kaiser, I doubt he would be shooting rages if he was shooting a lower KE bow.

Never shot Rages. I go with the same thinking as Joe. One 2.5" hole is nice. Two holes each being 1.25-1.5" is better than one at 2.5" though. I have watched countless hunting videos with no pass thru. This scares me. If you measure the exit holes I have seen from my Slick tricks, the exit is generally much bigger than the "cutting diameter" advertised. Entry holes are much closer to advertised diameter. So far, I have gotten pass thru shots on Muzzy and Slick Tricks so this is all I can speak for.

I care not to argue. Just throwing out my opinion (and reasoning why) with 6-8 deer killed with broad heads. I am just using logic based on MY experience. If I had the experience and archery ability of Kaiser, Jesse, Joe, Milo, JBrown, or numerous others on this site, my opinion might be different. I don't know.

Not trying to defend anyone, pick sides, or further fuel any fires. Just throwing out why I am going with Slick Tricks again this year.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
In all fairness to Kaiser, I doubt he would be shooting rages if he was shooting a lower KE bow.

Never shot Rages. I go with the same thinking as Joe. One 2.5" hole is nice. Two holes each being 1.25-1.5" is better than one at 2.5" though. I have watched countless hunting videos with no pass thru. This scares me. If you measure the exit holes I have seen from my Slick tricks, the exit is generally much bigger than the "cutting diameter" advertised. Entry holes are much closer to advertised diameter. So far, I have gotten pass thru shots on Muzzy and Slick Tricks so this is all I can speak for.

I care not to argue. Just throwing out my opinion (and reasoning why) with 6-8 deer killed with broad heads. I am just using logic based on MY experience. If I had the experience and archery ability of Kaiser, Jesse, Joe, Milo, JBrown, or numerous others on this site, my opinion might be different. I don't know.

Not trying to defend anyone, pick sides, or further fuel any fires. Just throwing out why I am going with Slick Tricks again this year.
Phil Hicks...Broadhead diplomat...:smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I dont care if you wanna argue with me or not.....I didnt really think we were arguing....Just having a friendly debate.....but guess not.....

Never did I say they were as strong as a fixed blade........which they are not i know this....But they are far from junk......Thats the point i Was trying to make.....

You eliminate most of the variables by making ethical shots. ....bottom line.....In the past I have been guilty of taking shots I probably sohuldnt have. Got lucky on most but didnt on a couple..... I learned from that.... IT doesnt matter what is on the end of my arrow.....I am going to kill deer...... BEcause my arrow is gonig to hit where I want it to.......Unless there are variables outside of my power (like deer movement) that changes this....

I agree with this.. But I also believe ethical shots depend on the equipment.. What's ethical with a compound might not be with a recurve. And what's unethical with a broadhead that has a situational limitation, might not be unethical with a better head.. My reasoning is why shoot the other head then. I'm removing that variable altogether.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I agree with this.. But I also believe ethical shots depend on the equipment.. What's ethical with a compound might not be with a recurve. And what's unethical with a broadhead that has a situational limitation, might not be unethical with a better head.. My reasoning is why shoot the other head then. I'm removing that variable altogether.

I agree with it, too... But what really matters are the variables we CANNOT control. Sure, we ALL try to wait for the best shot angle. What you can't control is the reaction that deer will have at the moment you trigger your release. Say I touch one off at a deer that's standing perfectly broadside... it's heading for the boiler room... I've done everything "right." Then the deer dips and turns in the blink of an eye... and simply by chance, my path toward the boiler room now becomes a path to the shoulder knuckle. Which head do I want flying toward that knuckle?... a mechanical, or a fixed-blade? I don't think I even need to answer that...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Zach, would you be willing to send me one of your old broadheads and I will try to break it down and show how i look at broadheads. i might even be able to convince you...

Kaiser878

ohio
Sure I can do that u mean one that has went through mulitple deer?...I can probably assess the head just as you are going to....my main complaint about rages were their cut on contact tip...it was flimsy....they changed it this year to a trokar point.....which makes me happy.....

call me tomorrow...you still got my number?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Sure I can do that u mean one that has went through mulitple deer?...I can probably assess the head just as you are going to....my main complaint about rages were their cut on contact tip...it was flimsy....they changed it this year to a trokar point.....which makes me happy.....

call me tomorrow...you still got my number?

nope i just need one without any bent blades. I wont be shooting this one.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
A test I would like to see is how much ft-lbs it takes each type to get through different media and the lose of energy of each type. That would tell a bigger tale.

I love the idea of mechanical broadheads...I just don't like the results compared to a well tuned fixed head. The entrance hole is nice on a 2" cut but I would rather have two 1" inch holes (entrance and exit) than one 2" entrance. I gotta say I used the predecessor of RAGE with much success....Rocky Mountain Snypers.

Now the Ulmer heads have me intrigued. If they came heavier I would give them a try. Only 100's so far.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A test I would like to see is how much ft-lbs it takes each type to get through different media and the lose of energy of each type. That would tell a bigger tale.

I love the idea of mechanical broadheads...I just don't like the results compared to a well tuned fixed head. The entrance hole is nice on a 2" cut but I would rather have two 1" inch holes (entrance and exit) than one 2" entrance. I gotta say I used the predecessor of RAGE with much success....Rocky Mountain Snypers.

Now the Ulmer heads have me intrigued. If they came heavier I would give them a try. Only 100's so far.

They did something similar to that.. All the rage people cried saying they were not hunting steel drums.

Also. A 4 blade with a 1 1/8 cutting diameter has 2.5 inches of cut.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Although not in line with my "broadhead diplomat" position, I want to bring about an observation. In the deer I have arrowed (while not a pile of them, a decent amount in a short time) I have never failed to have a pass thru shot. While the entry holes I have had with Muzzy's and Slick Tricks have not been overly impressive, the exit holes have been amazing. I am still thinking two holes is better than one. Doesn't matter what you shoot. Just a thought and observation. Carry on. Here are the deer from last year.

Attachments

• IMG00144-20110928-2007 exit hole close up.jpg
    IMG00144-20110928-2007 exit hole close up.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN01790001.jpg
    DSCN01790001.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCN01800001.jpg
    DSCN01800001.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Dec 17 doe exit hole.jpg
    Dec 17 doe exit hole.jpg