Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 broadhead selections

Kaiser878

ohio
Don't forget to make sure it all has Bone Collector stamped on it.. Everyone knows dang well it doesn't kill big deer unless it's bone Collector.

You got that shit right!!!!!!

Broadheads are something very few will ever agree on...... They are like cars of power tools or anything that is made my many different companies.....Different strokes for different folks..... I like Rages, a lot on here dont.....But the problem is when people argue about a product they have never used/tested..... Then you have a string of people arguing about a product they know very little about ....

Personally I have shot a lot of different heads....As have many other people on here... I am not soley dead set on Rages......I like G-5 Montecs..... Two years ago I gave Slick Tricks a try.....It is very possible I got ahold of a bad pack..... but I couldnt get a single one of them to fly.....Neither could a good friend of mine.....For whome shot pro for years and is an archery whizz....After pulling our hair out we checked the ferrals on the STs and they were all bent....... Not terrible, but they would not spin true... If I am gonig to shoot a fixed blade I want it to shoot just as good of groups at 70 as it does at 20.....

A lot of times some arrows just dont accept certain broadheads.....A lot of time it takes some tinkering to figure stuff out and see what flys best with what set up..... In the end its all aobut confidence.....I know when I draw back on a deerthat my arrow is gonig to hit exactly where my pin was sitting when my release goes off.......and thats all that matters to me!

Kaiser878

ohio
:smiley_chinrub:<----------This is the face I make when I reach that point in the day when I find Kaiser attractive.....Guys butts drive me nuts.....What can I say!!!!!

Whoaaaa whooaaaaaa Jimboooooo......I mean I think your a good guy and alll.....but thats a little on the creepy side!

10pointchuck

NH
I am going to try the QAD Exodus this year . I have been doing a lot of research and like the design and durability . I was almost going to try the NAP Hellrazor untill i saw the Exodus . will be shooting them this week and will post results .

RUT NUT

this is off subject, but rut nut that thing is a freaking HOGGG in your avatar picture! Musta been because of the rage! haha

It sure was. And let me tell you....it wasn't a great shot at all! I truly believe if I hadn't been shooting a Rage Broadhead....that dude would have never died!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You got that shit right!!!!!!

Broadheads are something very few will ever agree on...... They are like cars of power tools or anything that is made my many different companies.....Different strokes for different folks..... I like Rages, a lot on here dont.....But the problem is when people argue about a product they have never used/tested..... Then you have a string of people arguing about a product they know very little about ....

Personally I have shot a lot of different heads....As have many other people on here... I am not soley dead set on Rages......I like G-5 Montecs..... Two years ago I gave Slick Tricks a try.....It is very possible I got ahold of a bad pack..... but I couldnt get a single one of them to fly.....Neither could a good friend of mine.....For whome shot pro for years and is an archery whizz....After pulling our hair out we checked the ferrals on the STs and they were all bent....... Not terrible, but they would not spin true... If I am gonig to shoot a fixed blade I want it to shoot just as good of groups at 70 as it does at 20.....

A lot of times some arrows just dont accept certain broadheads.....A lot of time it takes some tinkering to figure stuff out and see what flys best with what set up..... In the end its all aobut confidence.....I know when I draw back on a deerthat my arrow is gonig to hit exactly where my pin was sitting when my release goes off.......and thats all that matters to me!
i disagree heavily with this statement. I fortunately have the background to form a speculative and quite educated opinion on their performance. Not everyone does have this I understand so your can appreciate your statement and why you made it without taking offense. there is a reason why the drury brothers can't get a broad side passthrough using PSE's best bows but the strapassasin Ted nugget can with a 50 pound martin bow can..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
i disagree heavily with this statement. I fortunately have the background to form a speculative and quite educated opinion on their performance. Not everyone does have this I understand so your can appreciate your statement and why you made it without taking offense. there is a reason why the drury brothers can't get a broad side passthrough using PSE's best bows but the strapassasin Ted nugget can with a 50 pound martin bow can..

Precisely, when was the last time you saw muzzy or slick trick have to come out with a low KE broadhead.

As Bowhunters we try to eliminate a ton "what if" from our equipment, even right down to our stand placements and removing that one limb that "what if it gets in the way".

Personally I could care less how a broadhead performs on broadside or quartering away shots. to me that's a minimum requirement that every broadhead should pass before even being called a broadhead. I never want to have to look at a deer and say. I need him to do this or that before I can release an arrow. If he's quartering too and about to walk in some thick stuff, when I settle that pin and send that broadhead on its way. I don't want it to be a question of "am i going to punch through that and hit vitals." I want to know not only am i going to reach vitals, but I'm also going to give him a drain hole in the bottom. To me that's just eliminating a what if. And I don't have to shoot something to know its a Ke robbing machine that requires me to second guess anywhere I want to drill that deer. I don't have to shoot it to watch their own marketing video that shows something like 40 deer get shot and the majority of them don't get exit wounds. To me it's just eliminating one more "what if" from my hunting.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Precisely, when was the last time you saw muzzy or slick trick have to come out with a low KE broadhead.

As Bowhunters we try to eliminate a ton "what if" from our equipment, even right down to our stand placements and removing that one limb that "what if it gets in the way".

Personally I could care less how a broadhead performs on broadside or quartering away shots. to me that's a minimum requirement that every broadhead should pass before even being called a broadhead. I never want to have to look at a deer and say. I need him to do this or that before I can release an arrow. If he's quartering too and about to walk in some thick stuff, when I settle that pin and send that broadhead on its way. I don't want it to be a question of "am i going to punch through that and hit vitals." I want to know not only am i going to reach vitals, but I'm also going to give him a drain hole in the bottom. To me that's just eliminating a what if. And I don't have to shoot something to know its a Ke robbing machine that requires me to second guess anywhere I want to drill that deer. I don't have to shoot it to watch their own marketing video that shows something like 40 deer get shot and the majority of them don't get exit wounds. To me it's just eliminating one more "what if" from my hunting.

Preach, brotha Jose... preach! :smiley_clap:

Kaiser878

ohio

How many have your knowledge that bash a product though???? And Im not just talking about Rages either.... Then again, I dont see you posting all the time bashing rage broadheads calling htem junk either......So I dont think you fit this mold!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How many have your knowledge that bash a product though???? And Im not just talking about Rages either.... Then again, I dont see you posting all the time bashing rage broadheads calling htem junk either......So I dont think you fit this mold!

I don't go out of my way to bash rages. Just as there is a large group of those that will bash them at every turn, there is also a large group that shoot them because of marketing and a fanboy following. There is no arguing with either of those so why try. I don't think they're junk, there is no arguing that they can jack up some vitals. Perhaps the best BH on the market for causing internal damage on a deer. But there's a limitation. There are some really questionable gray areas where shooting a rage is a gamble. And I'm not willing to take those chances. I have seen enough videos where a rage doesn't get a pass through on a beautiful broadside shot. Say a booner walks in and gives me one of these..

You've been busted. You've got about two seconds to drill him. When I let that BH fly I want to have not doubts in my mind that I'm going to bust through that and not only reach vitals, but at a minimum make an exit wound if not pass though. I've seen enough deer shot by rage on video to tell me that even a broadside shot is a gamble on a pass through. This shot isn't a gamble, to me judging by what I've seen performance wise with higher percentage shots, this shot would be almost unethical to attempt with a rage.

And that's where I draw my issue with them.. I know you can say you have blown one through every deer you have shot.. But I've watched video after video of that not being the case.. Maybe you pick your shots more carefully.. And that's fine.. I don;t want to have to pick my shots and wait. I want to take the shot that's given to me when the moment counts. To me it's eliminating a variable, Not shooting them is removing one more "what if" from my hunting.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio

When was the last time you saw Muzzy sell a pack of broadheads that all the heads in the pack had straight ferrels????

I understand your point.......And Im not gonig to criticize anyone for shooting any kind of head......But what I will say is this.....Ive never worried about a deer moving this way or that way before I shot it...I shoot them wherever they are standing when the shot presents itself...... Shot angles are not a concern of mine..... Exit holes, I Dont really worry about them......I usually see my deer fall... Even when I dont see them fall there is a excellent blood trail....pass throiugh or no pass through......

Lastly.......How can so many people have so many issue with rages and I not experience any of them?? Not only do I not experience the so called negatives, but neither has my dad, or any of my friends that shoot them?

I think the issue, as with any broadhead, is haphazzard arrow flinging..... A deer can be shot quartering toward you with any broadhead and get a pass through.....although, your placement has to be correct.....As for head of deer, I have not nor will I with a bow.....Anyone that does is taking a risk, I dont care what broadhead or bow or arrow your shooting!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Here, here...

I've killed deer with 7 or 8 different broadheads I think and killed 6 of them with Rages. I know I don't fit the mold of a guy with no experience trashing something I know nothing about. Despite no longer shooting the Rages, you won't hear me say anything bad about them. In fact, my '08 buck was shot with a Rage and it is single handed the worst devastation I have ever caused to a deer. Yet I switched to Slick Tricks the next year and Joe summed up the reasoning behind it. I had some "bad" experiences from the Rages that allowed some doubt to creed in my mind and I had heard first hand experiences from others that added to that doubt. Making the move to a proven fixed blade was all about removing that doubt and I can't see me ever going back to a mechanical even though I shot them for years...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lastly.......How can so many people have so many issue with rages and I not experience any of them?? Not only do I not experience the so called negatives, but neither has my dad, or any of my friends that shoot them?

I think the issue, as with any broadhead, is haphazzard arrow flinging..... A deer can be shot quartering toward you with any broadhead and get a pass through.....although, your placement has to be correct.....As for head of deer, I have not nor will I with a bow.....Anyone that does is taking a risk, I dont care what broadhead or bow or arrow your shooting!

So you are saying we (I) am full of shit and take shit shots at deer?!?

Kaiser878

ohio
I don't go out of my way to bash rages. Just as there is a large group of those that will bash them at every turn, there is also a large group that shoot them because of marketing and a fanboy following. There is no arguing with either of those so why try. I don't think they're junk, there is no arguing that they can jack up some vitals. Perhaps the best BH on the market for causing internal damage on a deer. But there's a limitation. There are some really questionable gray areas where shooting a rage is a gamble. And I'm not willing to take those chances. I have seen enough videos where a rage doesn't get a pass through on a beautiful broadside shot. Say a booner walks in and gives me one of these..

You've been busted. You've got about two seconds to drill him. When I let that BH fly I want to have not doubts in my mind that I'm going to bust through that and not only reach vitals, but at a minimum make an exit wound if not pass though. I've seen enough deer shot by rage on video to tell me that even a broadside shot is a gamble on a pass through. This shot isn't a gamble, to me judging by what I've seen performance wise with higher percentage shots, this shot would be almost unethical to attempt with a rage.

And that's where I draw my issue with them.. I know you can say you have blown one through every deer you have shot.. But I've watched video after video of that not being the case.. Maybe you pick your shots more carefully.. And that's fine.. I don;t want to have to pick my shots and wait. I want to take the shot that's given to me when the moment counts. To me it's eliminating a variable, Not shooting them is removing one more "what if" from my hunting.

I have not blown through every deer I have shot.....I have not blown through every deer I have shot when I was shooting fixed blades...

On the deer you just gave as an example, if you shot that x there is very little bone there that is gonig to stop an arrow! I know for a fact I would blow through that with a Rage.....

Now down and to the left a fuzz where the leg meets the shoulder is a different story.....But where the red X is located, there is little bone there, especially none big enoguh to stop my arrow equipped with a rage...

THe next point is this......I Would never take that shot...... I dont care how fast anyones bow is, that deer could spin, turn, duck.....Whatever, resulting in a bad shot.... IT sohuldnt matter whether it was a booner or a doe.....Thats a terrible shot angle and I would shoot it....Thats gambling no matter what your equipment is, unless its a gun!!!!

Kaiser878

ohio
So you are saying we (I) am full of shit and take shit shots at deer?!?

I wasnt speaking of you, but you took offense to it, enough to pose the above question.... So you can formulate your own opinion....Do you take shitty shots at deer????? I personally dont know....I havent ever been around you when you shot a deer with a bow....

Secondly, do you openly bash rages???? I think you answered this in your response to Joe.....So my post you quoted probably doesnt pertain to you. I didnt say, I dont have issues with Rages......WHy did jesse have so many issues that made him switch from rages to ST....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have not blown through every deer I have shot.....I have not blown through every deer I have shot when I was shooting fixed blades...

On the deer you just gave as an example, if you shot that x there is very little bone there that is gonig to stop an arrow! I know for a fact I would blow through that with a Rage.....

Now down and to the left a fuzz where the leg meets the shoulder is a different story.....But where the red X is located, there is little bone there, especially none big enoguh to stop my arrow equipped with a rage...

THe next point is this......I Would never take that shot...... I dont care how fast anyones bow is, that deer could spin, turn, duck.....Whatever, resulting in a bad shot.... IT sohuldnt matter whether it was a booner or a doe.....Thats a terrible shot angle and I would shoot it....Thats gambling no matter what your equipment is, unless its a gun!!!!

Is this the "very different story" spot you're talking about?

Entrance.

Exit.

While you might be worried about that on entrance. That blew through it on exit.. And it was a complete pass through.

At 20 and under that shot isn't a gamble.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Is this the "very different story" spot you're talking about?

Entrance.

Exit.

While you might be worried about that on entrance. That blew through it on exit.. And it was a complete pass through.

At 20 and under that shot isn't a gamble.

No, thats the shoulderblade.....Thats not gonna stop a rage either.......Im talknig about the joint where the socket of the shoulder is...

THat deer can still jump your arrow at 20 yards

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No, thats the shoulderblade.....Thats not gonna stop a rage either.......Im talknig about the joint where the socket of the shoulder is...

THat deer can still jump your arrow at 20 yards

Uhm.. yeah.... That's the exact bone you're referring to when you said ""where the leg meets the shoulder is a different story."". . What bone do you think that is in picture two and three?? The shoulder blade was the entrance.. The bone in pictures two and three is "where the leg meets the shoulder".. And that was the offside exit where that bone was busted in three pieces. That shot went shoulder blade / vitals / leg bone / dirt.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
I mean the knuckle..your arrow hit the shaft of the bone. THe end of the leg bone which is the epiphysis and the actual socket! Thats the only thing that is gonig to keep a rage from entering well on a deer.....ANd it is very simple....You just dont aim at it! I have shot Rages and blown through leg bones on exit on does as well.... Which trashes the blades without a doubt every time!