Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

To buy or not to buy.................

Buy or not?

• Total voters

Lundy

Thunderflight,

How long of a shot do you anticipate and want to be prepared to take?

Based upon the data you provided for the bullet and powder charge and your actual real world ballistics your velocity is somewhere around 1550 FPS.

Your data and current load and setup
1.8 high - 50 yd
0.0 - 100 yd
7.25 low - 150 yd
21 low - 200 yd

If you are convinced that is the load and bullet you want to hunt with you might want to consider setting up using a different zero.

same load, different zero

4.33 high - 50 yds
4.78 high - 100 yds
0.0 - 150 yds
5.75 low - 180 yds
11" low - 200 yds

The kill zone on a elk is around 14" top to bottom. A center hold on any elk from 0 - 180 yds hit the kill zone with no guessing about a aim point.

Just a idea for you to consider.

Good luck

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Lundy, it's funny you mentioned that because I was considering doing just that.

To be honest I don't expect to shoot more than 100 yards, BUT I'd want to know my weapons capabilities. I was thinking that zero'd at 150 would help with not having to worry about off set aiming.

Lundy

Yes it is always good to choose a zero that will best fit your your intended game and anticipated shot. Anything that removes any extra thought at the the time you elect to shoot the better. Much like not needing to decide which pin to use for a bow shot, same thing with the gun, just put the cross hair in the middle and execute a a good shot

You don't have to pick a zero at 50 yds increments either. no law that says 100 or 150, etc.

If you anticipated shot is maybe 125 yds, maybe that would serve your needs as a better zero, That would get you around +3 at 50, +2.25 at 100, -3.5 at 150. At 200 it is 15 low, but 200 with that load is stretching it for elk anyway in my opinion.

You play and pick your own that you feel best with. It is just I wouldn't use a 100 yd zero for that load and hunt, but it's all up to each person preference.

Good luck