Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote Snaring Basics

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was very fortunate last year, I guess. It was my first year snaring and I caught NO deer. I know it happens, but I hope it never happens to me! I set my snares last year where I would picture a deer walking with it's head up. I had a bunch of them kicked over by deer, and a bunch that were pulled off their legs. I don't know if I would keep snaring if I caught a deer, and really hope I never have to find that out! A guy I worked with years ago got into snaring, and I know he caught at least 6 deer a year, mostly where he set snares under fence crossings. I'm sure that guy is still setting them in the same locations as he just didn't care that he was killing deer.

SweetBee

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I am not very familiar with trapping and not at all familiar with snares. Once you have snared a coyote in a particular location do you move the snare to a new location?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I hope this isn't a stupid question but I am not very familiar with trapping and not at all familiar with snares. Once you have snared a coyote in a particular location do you move the snare to a new location?
I reset the location, maybe a little farther down the trail since the catch circle usually leaves a mess.