Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Couple of good days at the range

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm very frustrated right now because my honey-do's and family schedules and other obligations have been eating my weekends like mad ever since April, and my outdoor pursuits are lagging (but that's a story for another thread). But I have managed to get the range and do a little shooting, here's the scoop:

Two weekends ago my in-laws came up so that Julie and her mom could go "antiquing" and garden shopping. Ugh. Wanted no part of that, so I told everyone that I was taking Tom (my father in law) to the range to shoot while they were out getting their foo-foo on. MIL was NOT happy (bonus) but he was enthusiastic. As he has no firearms experience, I took a couple of bolt action .22 rifles and my scoped 10/22 and started out slow. He listened and adhered to the safety instruction, and started shooting some ok groups at 25 yards. He was very happy and excited, I think he's hooked. :smiley_clap:

It just so happened that the rep from Savage was at the club that day, and they had a table set up and a whole rack of guns and a buttload of ammo. You could shoot anything you wanted. I spent some time with the rep and asked him about the AccuTrigger - they had a working display of the mechanism and I gotta say I now understand why guys are so enthusiastic about it. Anyway, I took advantage of the opportunity to shoot up about 30 shells thru their bolt-action slug gun. Nice gun and optics, but not the ticket for me.

Here's the slug gun I gave a workout -

So we're getting ready to leave, and Tom decides "I want to shoot that gun there"...walks over and plops his ass down at the bench, takes a round and chambers it, and settles in to shoot. I'm thinkin "holy shit" and tell him he better pull that in tight and lean forward a bit, that the recoil will be a little bit different than the .22's he's been shooting all day....

Well, I'm happy to say he got his round off safely and is interested in shooting again.
I told him next time we'll warm up with the 10/22 again, then introduce him to muzzleloading and pistol shooting.

I'm thinking I might need to invest in a .22 target pistol.

So my daughter and I went to Target World in Cincy today...she'd purchased some range passes thru a LivingSocial deal for father's day and wanted me to teach her how to shoot. Part of the deal was a .22 Ruger target pistol rental and 50rounds. I took my 9mm and the 10/22. We started with the target pistol and she listened and did everything as instructed, and it was fun to watch her become more and more comfortable handling the piece. And she actually did ok, most rounds in the black and very few flyers. Same with the 10/22. She's hooked too. And she'll be going with me when it's time for CCW class:smiley_coolpeace:

Check out them shoes...

Enjoying herself....

Near the end of the session, a force to be reckoned with....

I gotta say this too....this was the first time I'd ever shot an indoor pay-range with the automatic target retrieval....that is the berries, man, absolutely. Love that.

All in all, a couple of good days at the range.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Freakin sweet man! Did you not like the feel of the Accu-trigger or the gun in general? I really do like tose triggers for a stock unit.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Love the trigger, but hated the magazine placement. Stock was a little long for me too.
No man, that trigger is awesome. and as far as the bolt action shotgun goes, working the action was really sweet.
Gun just didn't fit me, that's all.
The accutrigger kinda sold me on the fact I need a Savage rifle.
Maybe.
Who knows?:smiley_clap:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sounds like a great couple of days there Dan! Very good use of the 22's as well.
You see how this works? You did not one good deed but two. Your reward is a new desire.
Funny how Now you want a target pistol TOO! :rolleyes:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Love the trigger, but hated the magazine placement. Stock was a little long for me too.
No man, that trigger is awesome. and as far as the bolt action shotgun goes, working the action was really sweet.
Gun just didn't fit me, that's all.
The accutrigger kinda sold me on the fact I need a Savage rifle.
Maybe.
Who knows?:smiley_clap:

That was great you got to see it displayed like that Dan. I had to go out to u tube and watch several clips because I couldn't see what the big deal was about by just reading about it.It wasn't until afterwords and I saw how it worked! Very cool.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad to hear you and your FIL and daughter had a great time at the range Dan! Give me a call the next time your down at Target World. I work a few minutes away from there, on the north side of 275 and less than a mile east.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's great stuff Dan!! You got two people out on the range, who by the sounds of it, are hooked now on shooting. Can't beat that!! :smiley_clap:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great stuff, Dan! I've been wanting to get my hands on one of those Savage slug guns for a long time...