Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 Hunting Arrow Choices... Looking for Opinions

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Take some camp dry and treat the feathers with it. Helps keep the feathers from laying down when wet.

Joe, I have some 180gr snuffers up here if ya want to borrow one lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Is that a spray?

Yes it is.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff guys. I have more reading to do. Looks like the GT500 likes them heavier. Shot one of Milo's and the penetration and reduction in noise was enough to sell me. So I am a little slower? Big deal, maybe I start aiming 2" lower or something. I have always aimed midway on the height of the body. Have been wondering if this is such a good idea anyway. I think I should have been aiming 2-3" lower all along anyway.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff guys. I have more reading to do. Looks like the GT500 likes them heavier. Shot one of Milo's and the penetration and reduction in noise was enough to sell me. So I am a little slower? Big deal, maybe I start aiming 2" lower or something. I have always aimed midway on the height of the body. Have been wondering if this is such a good idea anyway. I think I should have been aiming 2-3" lower all along anyway.

I think you meant higher... ya dislexic fugg. lol Heavier arrow drops more than lighter arrow... therefore aim higher. And I know different guys have different aiming methods/strategies, but I like to aim so that my arrow hits right where I want it to. I don't play the "aim here in case I miss high or low" game. But this makes yardage estimation all the more critical.

---

FYI Phil... I ended up ordering a dozen Easton ST Excel shafts. I looked at some down at Fin Feather Fur and IMO they look like a decent hunting shaft. Thinner diameter and smooth finish just like the Easton Epics had. For a relatively cheap arrow shaft, I think they're going to work out just fine.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think you meant higher... ya dislexic fugg. lol Heavier arrow drops more than lighter arrow... therefore aim higher. And I know different guys have different aiming methods/strategies, but I like to aim so that my arrow hits right where I want it to. I don't play the "aim here in case I miss high or low" game. But this makes yardage estimation all the more critical.

---

FYI Phil... I ended up ordering a dozen Easton ST Excel shafts. I looked at some down at Fin Feather Fur and IMO they look like a decent hunting shaft. Thinner diameter and smooth finish just like the Easton Epics had. For a relatively cheap arrow shaft, I think they're going to work out just fine.

Nope. I meant lower. My pins will be set to hit where I want them to. I agree with this 100%. By saying "aim lower" I honestly meant 2-3" lower on the deer. My thoughts are to allow for a bit of drop from the deer if needed. Seems the last 3 deer I killed (last season) with my bow the hits were a touch higher than I wanted them to be. My way to rectify this situation is going to be 1)practicing more from elevated positions 2) if shooting heavier arrows (which might come out slower) I might start aiming 2-3" lower on the deer to compensate for the drop. This aimpoint on the deer will still put me in the vitals. Let's face it, we aren't shooting at a tennis ball sized target. 2-3" aim point is not a drastic change if you were previously aiming halfway between belly and spine.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just to update this thread a bit...

I went ahead and purchased a dozen Easton ST Excel .300's and, although I haven't shot them yet, so far I like them. They seem like they're of pretty decent quality, and I'd expect nothing less from Easton.

Fletched them up with 2" Rayzr feathers and put 145 grain tips up front. My unwrapped practice arrows weigh in at 477 grains and have a bit over 16% FOC. My wrapped (5" reflective and 5" double dogs) hunting arrows weigh in at 491 grains and 15.5% FOC. This is a night and day change from my previous arrow setup... which were 380 grain flatlines, ~11% FOC. I'm hoping tonight I can get out and do some shooting and get the Strother dialed back in.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh and for future reference, the 7" reflective wraps from Onestringer weigh approximately 14 grains total... so about 2 grains per inch. The clear double dog protective wraps weigh just under 1 grain per inch.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Nope. I meant lower. My pins will be set to hit where I want them to. I agree with this 100%. By saying "aim lower" I honestly meant 2-3" lower on the deer. My thoughts are to allow for a bit of drop from the deer if needed. Seems the last 3 deer I killed (last season) with my bow the hits were a touch higher than I wanted them to be. My way to rectify this situation is going to be 1)practicing more from elevated positions 2) if shooting heavier arrows (which might come out slower) I might start aiming 2-3" lower on the deer to compensate for the drop. This aimpoint on the deer will still put me in the vitals. Let's face it, we aren't shooting at a tennis ball sized target. 2-3" aim point is not a drastic change if you were previously aiming halfway between belly and spine.

iS YOUR ELITE FASTER THAN YOUR PREVIOUS BOW?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My reason for asking that, is if its faster, than he wouldnt need to worry about a deer ducking cause his arrow would be getting there quicker.

he doesn't have an elite he sold that and kept his strother infinity. the infinity is leaps and bounds quieter than most bows and with that heavy arrow all he will hear is his lungs deflating...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
he doesn't have an elite he sold that and kept his strother infinity. the infinity is leaps and bounds quieter than most bows and with that heavy arrow all he will hear is his lungs deflating...

I think Wayne was talking Hicks there, Milo.

But yes, the Infinity IS the quietest bow I've owned... and with these near-500 grain arrows all I should hear is death happening. :) And that makes me happy happy happy.