Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 Hunting Arrow Choices... Looking for Opinions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Most people will tell you 5 grains in drop will equate to a 2 fps gain. So a drop of 41 grains, should equal roughly 16 fps. This varies with set ups and such, but is a general rule of thumb. Take in to consideration also that the original chrono numbers and the second reading were from two different machines. I found it hard to believe that I was shooting 290, but 5 arrows left that as my average. Regardless of the actual speed of my bow, there is a noticeable difference in pin gap now that I have switched to Flatlines. My goal was to blend speed and projectile weight to get the best of both worlds and in the process, I actually increased my KE. It was a win-win if I have ever had one...

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm getting a little thin on arrows myself. I had actually talked with Milo about getting some new stock, so I've found this thread quite informative. Although I'm not considering the same equipment as JB, the info that's been shared carries over.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wonder is milo can figure out how to put a broadhead on an Easton X-10? Hmmmmm lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been playing with OnTarget2 for a little bit, and I think the 150 grain head is a bit unnecessary for my setup.

With the ST Excels, and a 125 gr head, I'd be dealing with something like this...
.3067 dynamic spine (.300 static)
479 grains - 11.97% FOC - 269 fps - 77.07 lbs KE
... Not too shabby. These stats are with Blazers and a ~8 grain wrap.

Now, if I just swap the Blazers out for the Gateway Rayzr feathers...
.3015 dynamic spine (.300 static)
466 grains - 13.45% FOC - 273 fps - 77.45 lbs KE
... That seems like it could be a devastating setup to me.

Btw, the axis nfused arrows are more expensive than my flatlines, so those are a no-go for this little experiment.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've shot the excels since 02 or 03. I love them. They are reasonably priced, and contrary to what I've read here, found them to be very durable. I can't imagine anyone giving arrows much more air-time than I do, and I can't seem to break them. There may in fact be much better shafting on the market - I quit looking a long time ago- but I have found them more than satisfactory.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Its my understanding that the excells are the same arrow as the ST Epics (which are a great arrow) with one exception, they arent as straight.
I forget where I heard this but basically what it boils down to is that when Easton is making the ST Epics, they test the shafts for straightness. If one is close but not quite within the spec., it becomes an excell.

Has anyone seen the ST Epics for sale anywhere? I heard they are discontinuing them. Rumor is that they know they are sweet arrows at a good price, so they are discontinuing them as the Epic, remaning them, and puting them back out at a higher price.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've shot the excels since 02 or 03. I love them. They are reasonably priced, and contrary to what I've read here, found them to be very durable. I can't imagine anyone giving arrows much more air-time than I do, and I can't seem to break them. There may in fact be much better shafting on the market - I quit looking a long time ago- but I have found them more than satisfactory.

That makes me feel a little better. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to give them a try. I'm sure the Axis arrows are top notch, but I just don't feel like spending high dollar on arrows right now. Even if the Excels are a less durable arrow, at only 5 bucks per arrow I can afford to chip, crack, shatter, and break them. I don't see that happening often, though... as they'll basically be strictly a hunting arrow for me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Its my understanding that the excells are the same arrow as the ST Epics (which are a great arrow) with one exception, they arent as straight.
I forget where I heard this but basically what it boils down to is that when Easton is making the ST Epics, they test the shafts for straightness. If one is close but not quite within the spec., it becomes an excell.

Has anyone seen the ST Epics for sale anywhere? I heard they are discontinuing them. Rumor is that they know they are sweet arrows at a good price, so they are discontinuing them as the Epic, remaning them, and puting them back out at a higher price.

I know they're not in the newest Lancaster Archery catalog... so I'd say the rumor could be true.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
They discontinued them last year and most of the market is out of them. I think the epics were too good for easton for the price they were charging for them compared to the axis shafts. They under priced them and the only way to correct that was to discontinue them and relabel them as bloodlines. Honestly i dont see the advantage to having shafts of a cheaper chemistry. It doesnt make sense to have a brittle shaft like some have stated and then retool and resetup for a new product line. I would be surprised if there were any differences between excel and epic shafts. I thonk they even use mostly the same components.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good to hear, man. I've never shot feathers before but I think I'm going to give them a try. I think Beentown is shooting Rayzrs on his target arrows... What do you think so far, Beener?

I am going to use them for hunting if that says anything. I am going to keep two in the quiver with Blazers in case I hunt in a down pour. When shooting the qualifier they all laid down after an hour after being soaked. But that was an hour of absolute horrid conditions.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am going to use them for hunting if that says anything. I am going to keep two in the quiver with Blazers in case I hunt in a down pour. When shooting the qualifier they all laid down after an hour after being soaked. But that was an hour of absolute horrid conditions.

I plan to do the same with some sort of similar vane...

This is what I was thinking of doing also. Hopefully the close range trajectories aren't that much different. I can deal with just holding a little high or a little low if need be...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I thought about keeping one in my quiver that's an elephant whopper.. I have a couple stands where it's 25 yards max.. I want one of those 850 grain arrows that they shoot cape buffalo with. Get me a big ole ginormous BH and thump a deer with it.. send em for a flip. lmao Like an XX75 full of sand.