Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

blind set-up dilema

alright decided to ask for some help on this cause i cant figure out the right way to do it, im trying to set my ground blind up in the woods where i hunt, my dilema/problem is there is a buck that beds down about 60 yards or so away, the last two times i tried to sneak up and clear some stuff so i could make room i jumped him up, the rest of the land is pretty much well covered by a couple other hunters, any ideas of how i should approach this, such as certain time of day, or anything like this, its a mature buck atleast i assume because it sounds like a horse running through the woods and very big bodied, havent seen the rack to much cause of leaves everywhere, i dont wanna hunt right beside anyone, but also dont wanna force him from his bedding area...any ideas

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
You are probably gonna force him out of that spot anyway, if you set up there. If you insist on setting up there, I would do it at night or early in the AM before he comes back for the day. You might want to look for his travel corridors to and from food and water, and set up in some nice thick cover.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
You are probably gonna force him out of that spot anyway, if you set up there. If you insist on setting up there, I would do it at night or early in the AM before he comes back for the day. You might want to look for his travel corridors to and from food and water, and set up in some nice thick cover.

^this

alright, there is a path that he runs the same way everytime i kicked him up he runs along this fence line and down a ravine and through some thicket into a corn field, so maybe i could set up above the ravine on insde of woods to where i can still see corn field and ravine? im gonna try to not go out for another week or so so he can get used to me not walking up on him all the time

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I would setup in the thicket depending on what kind of winds you have to access it and hunt it on a new moon trying to catch him coming back to bed late

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with dante... For a spot like this, you'd be better off trying to set up the day of the hunt, EARLY in the morning... like 4 a.m. early... before he gets back to his bed. But there's a good chance he'll be bedding in a different area by the time bow season rolls around anyway.

very good ideas, im gonna try to set up in the thicket, but to where i can have a clear shooting lane, there is also numerous doe that travel this same pathway so even if he doesnt show right away i still have a chance at a nice doe as well, im thinking of goin on a light rainy day as to where hopefully he will stay bedded down and not make to much noise settin stuff up and then try on another rainy day to set my camera up, hopefully that would be a better approach

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
There is some very good advice here. If you bump him again it probably will be the last time he will be there, if he hasnt moved on already.

yea thats what i was afraid of so figured id get some advice, so gonna be backing off and move my spot to where i wont disturb him, hes always on high alert so im guessin he is a mature smart buckcause i dont get very close and he is already running from me with me bein as quiet as i can

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Honestly, I wouldn't get TOO worried about it. Chances are he will not be bedding there when the season rolls around as frequently as he is now. It is also likely he moves a mile or two down the road where he spends his fall and winter. That being said, the others have given you good advice on how to approach this. If it were me, I'd set the blind up where I wanted it and clear me a trail in to the spot, then hunt it smart. Good luck!

right, im gonna scout around a lil more by where he always runs towards the corn field, i have a path cleared but the deer for some reason think i made the path for them and they seemed to have taken over it and use it for there own path so makes it a lil more difficult as well, ive put some sugar beet crush off of my path and they devoured it and went right back to using my path so im always cautious of jumping some up every time i go in, so ill do some more scouting and spot finding and post an update, thanks for all the helpful advice