Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bow string wax

While we're on the topic of bowstring wax.... What are some of your preferences as to the way you apply the wax? I have heard of using a piece of leather to heat up the string, but I've since read quite a bit about how heat is the enemy of any string or cable.

Here's what I've been doing lately... I apply the wax to the string and cables liberally, then use my fingers to melt the wax and work it into the strands. After that, I take a piece of serving (about 12-15" in length), wrap it around the string a time or two, then pull it down the string while holding it tight. It's amazing how much excess dirty wax comes off the surface. Once I've removed the excess wax, I run my fingers up and down the string once more. It's just enough heat to melt the wax but not enough to compromise the strands.

I saw a youtube video of a guy who used a hair dryer to melt the wax onto the string and cables. I tried it once, and it actually seemed to work extremely well... But since I've read that heat is a bad thing, I'm a little worried that it's a bad idea.

I do the same thing you just in a different order. I dont think it makes a difference. I wouldnt use a hair dryer on my bow strings even on the lowest heat setting.
1. Rub the wax on heavy.
2. Rub it in with my fingers. fricton builds up heat to melt the wax into the string.
3. Remove extra wax with a piece of serving. Dental floss works pretty good in a pinch.
4. Rub down the string and cables with my fingers one last time.