Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's 2012 trail cam thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
True, but that place gets hammered pretty good during bow and gun. 9 times out of 10 there is a vehicle parked where we did and guys toting climbers in that direction.

Seems there's plenty of room for a couple of guys in there..... Especially if you're not afraid of walking......

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am AWFUL at the scoring game. Give me some thoughts... what do you think the 9 and 8 in my two latest camera pulls might score? I think they could be both very close in score. Almost think they may be related based on rack style and the brows.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
OK, this is twice now! There is a promising looking buck that appears on the hill (above right). He has done this twice and both times he stayed up on the hill and never came down to the goodies. He appears to be wide, but that is all I can tell. Old Scout went out and checked our cams on the private property today and this brief glimpse of this guy in the background is the only potential buck for me. All of the others were repeat appearances from young promising bucks that have Kody and Klay written on them for this year. What do you guys make of the fella playing peek a boo in the back?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is the guy in the foregorund in the above pic. He came in and hoarded all the apples. He has been posted earlier on here.
Not a shooter this year, but he has good genetics it looks like to me. But, if he shows for the boys he's getting an arrow in his direction.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I would move a camera or two around and place them higher in a tree angled down just on the outskirt of this camera since he is purposley avoiding it. I dont know how many mature bucks ive seen avoid cameras and you'd never know theres a decent deer even there. Either way thats a solid buck, and def shooter!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
First, that 9 is a year or two older than the 8 point IMO, and will score 15+"'s more than him. The 9 is a shooter and the 8 prolly won't make P&Y. Just my opinion Mike.

Can't make enough out of the nice buck on the hill to say much. He's showing some age just on his weariness of your camera though. He's not heavy and has small brows but nice spread and at last a couple nice tines. Could he be the big 6?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
First, that 9 is a year or two older than the 8 point IMO, and will score 15+"'s more than him. The 9 is a shooter and the 8 prolly won't make P&Y. Just my opinion Mike.

Can't make enough out of the nice buck on the hill to say much. He's showing some age just on his weariness of your camera though. He's not heavy and has small brows but nice spread and at last a couple nice tines. Could he be the big 6?

No, the big 6 is at the property with the field in the pics where the 9 and 8 are. I just haven't got him on camera yet. The Background Buck (maybe that's his name?) is an 8. I can almost guarantee it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hope you can get the 8 and the 9 together in the same pic sometime, I think you'd see a big difference in size comparison. They still could easily be related though.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok, I've decided to name this fugger Moby since he might be my white whale this year. This was the best I could do on the photo.

This is him around June 20th

And this is him on August 23rd

It's the only two glimpses I got of him.
At least I think they are the same buck...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good looking deer man! Hard to tell for sure if it is the same deer, but if he came in with the same buck both times, then I would tend to agree it is him.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not much to report on the private property. The crossing cam only produced doe and coon... but, I still think the bucks will be there soon.

The plot cam, on the other hand, is encouraging in regard to the boys. The bucks are feeding there in the daylight hours and seem to be comfortable there. We will be setting up a blind in the back left corner, just inside the woods, where we can watch the plot and the lower ridge in the woods. That ridge is a pretty good area during the rut for cruising. I'm pretty optimisitic about the chance of an early season shot for one of my boys. I'd love to see one get a crack at the 7 point. He has a nice high rack.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
The buck in the back could be new to your area. Ive noticed this on my cams. A new buck will follow, And almost always be shy.
But sooner or later, If unpreasured, They take the bait. jmo

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey MB, if you can get your post count up to 50 in the next few weeks you'd be able to sign up for the TOO deer hunting contest.:pickle:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, with opening weekend coming up, it's time to get my boys on a buck. My younger boy, Klay helped me hang a buddy stand over this plot and we've been getting some smaller bucks coming in consistent. So, with Saturday being out with too much going on, our plan is to hit this spot on Sunday morning.
Here are 2 of the frequent visitors that I hop offer Klay a shot at his first deer.

184.jpg185.jpgPICT0285.jpg

Kody, my oldest, has a cast on his right arm from his wrist to his upper arm. He can still shoot lefty with the XBow, and he gets the nod on Sunday evening I think.

The buddy stand is tucked back in the woods behind that old wooden ladder that you can see in the pic. It's a nice setup where we can cover this little field and the hardwoods.