Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's 2012 trail cam thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gotta start somewhere. I would say that is a pretty good bit of variety for the first camera check. Plenty of time to dial it in on your shooter.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Pulled the cards today on 3 different cameras. Nothing really to write home about, but one buck that i couldn't quite get a good shot of may be one that i was eyeing up last year that we called Jagger. I do see some potential bucks for my boys and one camera, as suspected, is producing the most bucks.
And one pesky coyote...

This camera is over a mineral spot and scrape location and is within 10 yards of the stand where I killed my buck last year. In fact, the fawn is standing where the crape is every year. It is a popular doe hangout.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This camera is across the road from where the first pics are and is where the bucks hangout (at least I'm starting to figure the property out) until the rut. It seems this is where they are coming from anyway. They bed by this camera and migrate across the road to the doe hangout.

The buck on the left is the same buck as in the 3rd pic above.

I like this guy's potential.

Nice and wide

I see you!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great pics Mike! I agree that you have some great potential right there. I like the tight tall and heavier 8 you got there and the wide buck looks to be nice as well. Looking forward to your updates and thanks for sharing.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Six days have passed since my last check. Too frequent on the checks? Maybe... but I'm heading out for vacation in a few weeks and I wanted to do one today and one more right before I leave. I'm getting some repeat visitors and two of these guys are starting to turn me on. They aren't giants, but are solid and with a little more growth could be considered a shooter in my eyes. Let me know what you guys think of them.

The one in the background never got any closer to the camera. I think he is the one that was just sticking his head in to the cam view in my last set.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The camera I placed out on, what I call, "The Point" produced only doe in 6 days. But, that is where I used to get some good one, so we shall see.

Here is the plot pic. No good bucks this time, but I thought this was a good pic of a party at the plot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The bigger of the two has it going on in the width department, but lacks height. The 8 looks solid, but I think you'll change your mind when the velvet comes off. But you gotta shoot was tickles your fancy!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, I've sworn off "questionable" bucks. After last season, I was so pissed at myself for taking the one I did. Damn fog... LOL!

If this one falls into the questionable category when the velvet comes off I will NOT shoot him. The boys? Hell yes, but not me.
I just wonder how much growing they have left. That wide one could be enticing if he gets any height.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't get your hopes up. My experience has been that by the end of July, what you see is about what you get when the velvet peels. I highly doubt he adds the height you are looking for in the next couple of weeks...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The one on 7/14 at 8:59 reminds me a lot of your big one you killed a couple years looking at his frame. The straight on pic not as much, but that is the first thing I thought of when I seen the pic from the side.

Some nice pics Mike!