Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mineral Article: DIY Style

Gordo

Athens County
I had a similar problem on a new property this summer, Gordo. I found out the problem, though... A hunter on the neighboring property was running 50# salt blocks, and appeared to have been doing so for a LONG time. Once the deer get on a pattern going to another site, it makes it difficult to pull them away to a new one... especially when the other site is running pure salt.

That could very well be it. A couple of my properties have neighboring properties that have people really trying to hold deer.

For this year i'll put out 8+ sights, 1 on each property i have access to, and have cams watching them.

I hope to finally get some results

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'm in. Let's coordinate.

I think Longdraw has a place out by him that will dump your bags in a giant mixer for you. I'll get with him and make sure, but that's the way to go. Last year I just boxed the mix back in forth in empty 5 gal buckets.

I use a cement mixer. Don't know if it still works. Hardly worked two years ago.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use 1/2 a batch to start a lick from scratch, 1/4 to refresh it in the spring. Then I'll add 5 pounds once or twice a season right before a rain.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use one of the big plastic coffee containers with the handle on the side for mixing parts. A 1x mix seems to work well for refreshing, and 2-3x for starting a new lick. Last season I put mine out in May but I'm hoping to do it sooner this year.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took advantage of my day off and went out to Jefferson Landmark and picked up the ingredients. My dad and I mixed everything together and then went on over to the main property we hunt and created our spot. The camera is out so we will see what develops over the next couple months.

It's a nice depression in the flat above a creek bed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361225852.734735.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361225871.215530.jpg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think they like it! The only thing different in the mix I made was I substituted monocalcium for Di-Calcium only because that's all landmark had. I researched it and it is basically the same thing.

So far so good on this mix.

024.jpg

152.jpg

They're even bedding near it. Lol

228.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I can't seem to be able to ID the Di-calcium Phosphate or the Monocalcium on either TSC or Rural Kings websites. Both are just down the road from me. Thanks
Frank