Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope Problems

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I have a question, it might be a dumb one but I will ask it. Can the internals of a scope come loose or wear out???? I had my gun sighted in last week. Shot a ground hog this morning. Went home did some work and went back out this evening. Missed one not 2 mins after sitting down. WAY over his head....ranged hime at 135 yds. Thought maybe I flinched but sat there, sure enough back out he comes! Second shot WAY over his head. I walk back to the barn yard set up a target, range it. Way over the target I dial it down, still nothing on the target. I dial it down almost one complete revolution of the turret. On the board and shooting a tight group just slightly right of center. Pack everything back up walk to the field and sit. Another ground hog comes out 167 yds. WAY over his head, follow up shot same thing!! Smoke is literally rolling out of my ears, nose, and mouth. I set up a target 100yds away, 1st shot not even on the target AGAIN!!! Dial it down, 2nd shot 5 in high of center and 6in to the right?! I dial it down and back to center and hit perfect up and down but still right, dial it in some more and bamn dead nuts on!....I packed my shit up and saved myself some money and went home with my tail between my legs. I shoot from a shooting rest and have it anchored pretty well, and I do all the right things leading up to the shot and during the trigger pull. I find it hard to believe that I can sight a gun in and 10 mins later it is off but I had my dad come and watch and he can't figure it out either....I need some help

Yes, movements in scopes fail all the time. It sounds like that is exactly what happened with your scope because the point of impact changes with every shot you take. Or at least thats what I gather from what you wrote. What brand is the scope? Some manfucturers have no questions asked warrenties.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ryan- I am with Archer. I think that is a great possibility. I sent one in that is still in the box. You are more than welcome to try it out if you would like or if you end up sending it in. I would call it a middle of the road scope. Not high end, but not a total cheapy. I believe it is 3-9x40 Bushnell Legend. Just back from Bushnell and verified. I do not intend on putting it on anything. Planning on selling it actually but you are more than welcome to use it before I sell it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Tree Monkey,
I had a new Vortex scope out of the box, mounted it and ran less than 50 rounds through it. (223 cal.) Some where around then, the elevation started to jump with every shot 2 clicks or 1/2 a inch at 100 yds. I then watched the turret jump with a shot or two.
I came home, called Vortex, told them the issue. They had me send it in for a fix or replace. About 8 days later it was back; Good-as-new. They Increased the turret tension. Checked, cleaned and purged it.

Today I remounted it and ran another 50 rounds through. Worked like it should.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Tree Monkey,
I had a new Vortex scope out of the box, mounted it and ran less than 50 rounds through it. (223 cal.) Some where around then, the elevation started to jump with every shot 2 clicks or 1/2 a inch at 100 yds. I then watched the turret jump with a shot or two.
I came home, called Vortex, told them the issue. They had me send it in for a fix or replace. About 8 days later it was back; Good-as-new. They Increased the turret tension. Checked, cleaned and purged it.

Today I remounted it and ran another 50 rounds through. Worked like it should.

I was about to call and ask. Let me know how it goes down range!

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Been I couldn't tell you...it doesn't say anything on it other than Bushnell...I used its capabilities and tried to match up pictures but I can't figure it out.