Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dad's buck from 1953

Huckleberry Finn

That's a really neat picture with a lot of history, thanks for sharing.

Would he have had slugs for his 16 gauge or was buckshot used in the early seasons?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great story about the horse dragging in the log, Sam. It's true though, folks were different back in the day and not so dang materialistic. If I tried dragging a deer like that in our kitchen it would have been me gutted and on display....not a deer!lol

My dad told me one time that back in the early 1950's when he was a young boy, his dad and mom hauled one of their spring calves somewhere in their family car and he and his mom were too ride in the back holding down on the calves tail so he didn't shit. Can't ever remember seeing anyone doing that in all my days.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yes J that's the buck from the story. Not sure why he's not in the picture, maybe I just haven't found the picture with him in it yet.

As to why it's in the house I don't have a real good answer but I know the weather was bad, it had snowed a bunch and the creeks were frozen over. I would have thought he would have at least skinned it outside. One of my dad's older cousins told me a story of when she was a little girl visiting our house in the winter. There are 2 outside doors in the kitchen,my grandpa used a horse to drag a big log into the kitchen for the fire. He brought the horse in the one door and out the other. Maybe after seeing a horse in the kitchen my dad didn't think anything about bringing a deer in. :smiley_clap:

rotflmao I would of loved too have met him that's for sure :smiley_clap:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Thats awesome! You should do a current 2012 picture for this year to pass down with the 1953 one.... in the kitchen and on a chair!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I can;t help but wonder.. It's posed as if showing a dog on the bench.. Hand holding the head up, other hand holding the tail.. But why the chair.. Perhaps because this allowed the animal to be positioned in a likewise a manner. Did your dad have any experience showing dogs, have hunting dogs etc. I can see where with deer hunting being so new the typical poses of today we're unknown.. No doubt such a trophy required a pic.. But how.. We'll the same way you would show a dog on the bench, put this chair under him to prop him up and hold up his head and tail.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can;t help but wonder.. It's posed as if showing a dog on the bench.. Hand holding the head up, other hand holding the tail.. But why the chair.. Perhaps because this allowed the animal to be positioned in a likewise a manner. Did your dad have any experience showing dogs, have hunting dogs etc. I can see where with deer hunting being so new the typical poses of today we're unknown.. No doubt such a trophy required a pic.. But how.. We'll the same way you would show a dog on the bench, put this chair under him to prop him up and hold up his head and tail.

I would guess because this deer was bigger and heavier then the one you shot a couple years ago ? Da 40 pounder lmao

LMAO

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
No show dogs on the farm. My guess is rigor made it difficult to pose.
Anyways I found a picture of the old man with the deer plus 2 of my brothers and my youngest sister. I was apparently wrong, it must have been 1954 for my sister to be in the picture. The doe was my dad's buddy Len's deer.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just an outstanding piece of family history there Sam!
Priceless Picture !:smiley_bril:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A great part of history. And I got my first Ohio deer with a Win 97 in 16 ga. in 1972.
How times have changed when I moved to Butler County in 1976 there wasn't even a gun season for deer here only bow season.
Frank