Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quad Overheating

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As some of you know, I sold my 2009 King Quad 450 and bought a 2005 Brute Force 750. I've only had the Brute Force out on 2 hard rides. One was in 50 degree temps and the other was yesterday in 90 degree temps.
She ran well in the creek bottoms (other than the belt getting wet and slipping for a minute). However, when we got up out of the creek bottoms intot he heat and dust, the temperature guage kept coming on. I checked all the fluids and they seemed ok. The only thing I can figure is all of the dust clogged up the radiator. I was concerned because nbobody else was having the issue.
The fan was working, so that wasn't the problem.

When I say it was dusty... I mean it was DUSTY!

I was pissed at myself yesterday because I never had an issue with the King Quad. I'm worried I made a bad decision on this one.

Any thoughts?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Get under there and take a look at the radiator, good chance it's clogged with mud. It was also pretty darn hot yesterday, so I wouldn't be too concerned with it kickin on, especially if you were riding slow in a big group. Not a whole lot of air flow there.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Get under there and take a look at the radiator, good chance it's clogged with mud. It was also pretty darn hot yesterday, so I wouldn't be too concerned with it kickin on, especially if you were riding slow in a big group. Not a whole lot of air flow there.

We were in a big group and moving slow.
I was under it a little while ago and it's so encased, I can't see a dang thing. All I can see is the front of it and I can see through it. Of course, that was after I pressure washed it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Keep an eye on it the next time and see when it starts heating up.... probably got the radiator restricted a little with all the mud and dust if it does it again find a semi clean creek and run it through it a few minutes too try too clean it out.....

Just thought of something else.... does that bike have a thermostat on it? If so maybe time for a new one....just throwing that one out there..... I know someone on here will know more about that then me... just a novice @ best....

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After posting this I started checking everything. I should've checked the air filter first. It was a mess. It was caked and falling apart.
I ordered a k and n filter to see if that helps.

As far as the radiator goes, there's a good chance that could've been an issue to in regard to it bring blocked. Hitting those creek crossings (going fast through them) probably got it all wet and then dust probably collected on it blocking it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not much help on quads but it always seemed like the liquid cooled 4 stroke dirt bikes had issues in the past when we were in lots of mud and moving slow. Those things would boil over at an idle. It was always worse when someone got stuck and we had to help them along. Wish I was more help on your specific unit, but all I have is dirt bike comparisons. I would say you got some good advice though. I wouldn't be too upset for unloading the old one just yet. Keep her clean and maybe check the thermostat like J said? Seems logical.

Best part about this? You HAVE to go out and do another ride to see if it duplicates your problem after you cleaned it up and get your new air filter on. Isn't that just terrible? lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure if this helps or not... But my stepdad just replaced the onboard computer on his Polaris Sportsman 500. It always seemed to be running hot, and the fan would run more often than we thought it should... After replacing the computer, the problem went away.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Might be worth checking to make sure the right spark plug is in it. The previous owner could bought the wrong plug, which can cause it to run hotter.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Mine runs hot in warm weather when i run slow. Rad. Fan does kick on more often.Bet the mud and dust in the rad.fins added to the heat too. It is a big motor do driv
e real slow in a group eating dust.
Hope thats all it is.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mine runs hot in warm weather when i run slow. Rad. Fan does kick on more often.Bet the mud and dust in the rad.fins added to the heat too. It is a big motor do driv
e real slow in a group eating dust.
Hope thats all it is.

I think that's all it was. Well, that in the dirty ass air filter.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be looking into all of the suggestions.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did you notice it running poorly? I can see the dirty air filter starving the air flow and making it run poorly. It was a great maintenance decision to swap the air filter. I am leaning more towards the dirt buildup around the radiator being more the culprit than the air filter, but you sure can't ignore the air filters either. Got to make you feel a little better knowing CJD has had similar issues in similar conditions. i think they all have their quirks. Some bikes or quads just don't like slow and muddy conditions I guess.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My one buddy that was with us who has the same bike, but a year younger, just kept saying V-Twins run hotter. I had shorts on and my left leg was cooking!

Hay!
As far as the left leg...
Go down to auto zone or pepboys and get some 1"wide heat tape insulation or muffler wrap.
Wrapping that ex. pipe on the left will solve the hot leg problem.