Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Johnny King Buck

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure if any of you have been following this at all... This buck was originally scored as non-typ, but if scored as a typ would be a potential world record.

It's been a really controversial topic in the deer hunting/antler scoring arena. I just finished watching this video, which was posted on the D&DH webpage. While a lot of it makes sense to me, I just can't help but looking at the rack and thinking "those look like abnormal points to me." I'm curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are on this. Ahhh hemm.... Mike Rex, you especially. lol Agree, or disagree?

[video=youtube;dtBhj8iVrHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dtBhj8iVrHc[/video]

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
IMO it should be the new record. The big issue on the G2 & 3 can look abnormal but they both come off the main beam. Its not like its branched off one or the other. Sure the middle shares a common ground but I think that just gives him a hell of a circumfrence score there. I guess if it were me I would judge it Typical. I really wish they would just start doing a water displacement test for scoring!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They do the same shit with NT when scoring them "irregular". It's bs just to preserve their legacy bucks that have been replicated and displayed all over.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Guys my thought is if it is questionable as to weather or not its typ its not typ. A typ frame buck is supposed to be just that. No if ands or buts about it... When you see a world record typ buck at 25 yards and screw it up it'll make it a lot more special in your eyes.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have held this rack a couple different times. It is an AWESOME buck for sure!!! It is really close I keep going back and forth on this one how they should score it. To me it comes down to one thing there should be no doubt in any ones mind to make it the World Record. But I do think that there is more BS going on with the heads of B & C, on this buck and they are definitely bringing polotics into the scoring system.

Schu72

Streetsboro
If this is the deer I'm thinking of there was more to the story than just the common base issue. I thought the deer was shot in the antler or the deer ran into a tree after being shot and broke the antler and at some point was repaired. I thought the rack had also changed hands a few times and the owner was accused of "shopping" for a score by taking it to several different measurers. Of course this was all after he was denied a panel scoring by B&C. Lots of politics for sure...stud of a deer for sure.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
There is alot to this buck for sure. It was shot in the rack and it did come off, but that was after B & C changed the rule to score any broken parts of a rack that can be proven to be original. The buck was bought by an collector. The "shopping" came after the buck was scored as a World Record and the heads of B & C would not allow the score. The new owner then wanted others to score the buck to prove it was a world record and they have been fighting with him since.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I remember seeing the live velvet footage of this deer before it was shot and saying to myself that this deer will stir up discussion because of the common base issue. After seeing this entire video, IMO it would be scored a typical because it meets all the criteria of being a typical. We can split hairs all day long but at the end of the day, I'd take this deer first over Milo Hansons deer cuz I love MASS! lol

I agree also with the water displacement method TOO! Density ROCKS!lol

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I dont think there has been any velvet footage of this buck. You might be thinking of another WI bruiser the Field & Stream buck that Bob Decker shot at about the same time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I remember reading an article about this buck. It was a very lengthy article if I remember correct. Definitely a stud of a deer and big congrats should go out to the hunter. I am with dannman. The guy sells it as typical pretty well, but "what do I know?" I do know one thing: I wouldn't have passed on the deer and world record or not, it is certainly a world class deer!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I dont think there has been any velvet footage of this buck. You might be thinking of another WI bruiser the Field & Stream buck that Bob Decker shot at about the same time.

Maybe, the deer I'm referring to was very similar though. I found the video on the web thru the F&S 365 blog or something. The video was rather lengthy and somewhat shaky and out of focus some but at numerous times throughout the footage you could see the velvet rack pretty good. I also remember reading in this blog along with this video that after Steve Snow saw this same video that he was certain it would be a new world record scoring nearly 230 IF, those points were considered typical. I also remember this same deer being shot later the same year as the video and the story being in NAW.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
The owner of an outfitter business videoed that buck free hand(why it was so SHAKY) and was trying to claim it was on one of his leases to sell more hunts. They are very similar and were shot within 2 years of each other. They want to score them non typical for similar reasons as well. Here is a pic with my son holding the rack. It is definitely IMPRESSIVE!!!

johny king buck.jpg

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
They got what they deserved. Boone-Crockett is an elite organization and two guys think they can make comments to downgrade other scorers, you do that behind closed doors. If you don't like it quit and then talk but to do it while still a scorer, that's not right.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
They do the same shit with NT when scoring them "irregular". It's bs just to preserve their legacy bucks that have been replicated and displayed all over.

Why would they care about that? I''d think they would welcome a new world record caliber buck in in with open arms...