Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cams.... IR vs. Blackout

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse.... that buck up top with the split brows HATES the red glow.... even this time of year! He will not stand for it at all when the velvet comes off and always dodges the camera by walking 50 or so yards around it to avoid the glow. I know what you mean about having deer stand and pose all day for it, I had a 7.5 year old that did it his whole life but Titan is an exception that wants NOTHING to do with it. Even in daylight pics like the one above, look how cautious he is about that camera.

I have 500+ pics of the last buck spanning a month after this picture. The buck with the split brows, try a few thousand in hard horns. Including several during daylight the first week of the season. I have over 8,000 pictures of that deer over two years, most in hard horn and most standing mere feet from the cam. That being said, I'd beg to differ. Each deer is different and that buck never seemed to mind the camera despite the look he gives it...

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I have 500+ pics of the last buck spanning a month after this picture. The buck with the split brows, try a few thousand in hard horns. Including several during daylight the first week of the season. I have over 8,000 pictures of that deer over two years, most in hard horn and most standing mere feet from the cam. That being said, I'd beg to differ. Each deer is different and that buck never seemed to mind the camera despite the look he gives it...

X2.... My favorite cams are the cuddy flash. I have yet to see a effect on them that they won't come back around it. I've been running captures since they came out about 5 years or so now I'd say its passed the spook or not test...lol

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I wasnt saying your split brow buck, I was talking about the one I posted sorry for this misunderstanding. Like most have said they have mature deer and have thousands of pics of them, so do I. Im simplying saying every deer is different and that there are deer that will not tolerate the red glow (ie the buck I posted up top with split brows) I belive every deer is different in the fact that hunting pressure plays a big part in how they react to cameras. The farms I have in central ohio the deer act completly different than the ones I have that are more in the country. One particular farm I hunt the bucks are always on guard when the red glow goes off, 1/4 mile down the road.... not a care in the world. As soon as the deer venture down to the farm where deer dont care they only tolerate getting caught off guard by the camera once or twice before skirting it.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
JD how do you like the cuddes? I just got one and tested it in the garage, half the ir leds werent working so I took it back and got another, then tested the second one and NONE of the ir leds work, took it back and they just gave me a new ambush ir and its working great! Hopefully now that ive gone through my third cudde today Ive got a winner. Ive always liked the picture qualty but didnt know if this was a common problem they had?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
JD how do you like the cuddes? I just got one and tested it in the garage, half the ir leds werent working so I took it back and got another, then tested the second one and NONE of the ir leds work, took it back and they just gave me a new ambush ir and its working great! Hopefully now that ive gone through my third cudde today Ive got a winner. Ive always liked the picture qualty but didnt know if this was a common problem they had?

Cuddie cams have gone in the shitter.. I was reading a bitch thread somewhere about them just the other day. They switched manufacturers or something.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cuddie cams have gone in the shitter.. I was reading a bitch thread somewhere about them just the other day. They switched manufacturers or something.

Other than what JD posted above, it seems all I ever read about the Cuddes are bitch threads.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

I've got 3 captures and they work fine. Never had a minutes trouble other than not having sd cards formatted and one time I put batts in wrong and ruined the camera. $100 in the fire...lol

The next cam I buy will be reconyx. I've run them before and they are the best. Well worth the money...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Here are a couple pics from spypoints new Black Flash camera. I'll make y'all a hell of a deal on em. ;)

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
I've used flash cameras and ir cameras for several years now. I just got a blackout ir camera over the winter so not as much experience with it yet. I've never had a problem with any of them. Sometimes the deer look at it, sometimes they don't. None seem to be bothered by the flash or the ir, even bigger bucks. I would tend to agree that all deer have different personalities and some might not like and may even avoid it. I do know one thing, the blackout eats through batteries faster. At least mine does. My regular BTC ir's go a year on the same set of batteries. I only got a few months out of the blackout. To me it's not worth the extra money for the blackout. The main reason I got it was to be less noticeable when I put it out around the house. I love my BTC ir's and you can usually get a great price on them on ebay.