Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Velvet buck

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I am headed to North Dakota for the bow opener August 31 to try and shoot my first velvet buck. I have always wanted to shoot a velvet buck and the days can not pass soon enough.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That would be very cool. Good luck Tom! (I assume you are the "Tom" in the email address on your signature line?)

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
mraxx, Any idea if a buck in full velvet smells like hell? The buck I shot last year still had a bunch of velvet shed on it and it smelled like someone wiped their arse with it's antlers. Just wondering if you or anyone knows if the full velvet bucks stink or if it's just the open rotting flesh from the shed. Thinking about it, that makes most sense, but I just don't know...never been near a buck in full velvet before any shedding. Sorry for the hijack...good luck on the velvet buck!

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I am not sure how they smell. I know a couple people who have them mounted and didnt notice an odor. Maybe there is something with the taxidermy to prevent that. Thanks for the heads up I will talk to the taxidermist if I am lucky enough to shoot one, before I bring it home. That wouldnt go over well if it smelled bad.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man that would be a blast! I've heard the deer are really scattered in NoDak, though. Are you self-guiding or hooking up with an outfitter?