Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gettin' the ball rollin'

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It seems I've been a little behind the 8 ball this spring. Well finally today I was able to run to the feed mill and pick up supplies for the mineral mix. I made it to the woods after work and started two mineral sites... One has a Bushnell TC hanging over it and the other is covered by the trusty Spypoint IR-6.

Here's the IR-6 in action...

This is my first time using the python locks and I must say, right off the bat I am a big fan. Being able to not only lock the camera itself to the tree but also lock the camera door shut is a huge advantage.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what these sites produce for me in the next few weeks!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nice! I've had trace mineral blocks out for about a month. I didn't put up any cameras yet.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you got it figured out on which mix to use. Hope you find what you are looking for!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks good JB! Glad the feed mill hooked you up.

Sounds like you got it figured out on which mix to use. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Yea I got hooked up, I think. 200# of mix for about 65 bucks. The salt and di-cal was easy, but they had a few different types of minerals... They didn't have anything specifically called "trace minerals." Instead I ended up with a couple 50# bags of something called 2:1 cattle mineral. I haven't yet compared the mineral concentrations to Jesse's mix yet, but I do know the concentrations are higher than what I had found over at TSC. The 2:1 mix also had di-cal mixed into it, so my concentration of di-cal might be a tad higher than normal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man it's NEVER too early! lol

i would agree. Our minerals were out in March. I don't think year round minerals would hurt, but there would be certain times of the year they just didn't get used as much as others. Interesting note: We put them out and the corn to help them find the minerals had been refreshed was there for a long long time. Several weeks it was there slowly disappearing, yet the deer were hitting the area hard. This is good to see!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Just sayin I feel like every year im putting cameras out earlier and earlier.... Like their bone is gonna grow any faster lol. As far as minerals go i pretty much run them year round! Theres always a place for them and even when they're not killing them, they're still using them!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My bad rutin. I thought you were talking about the minerals. We usually keep a couple cameras out for trespasser surveillance, to see when the antlers are dropping, see when babies are dropping, and such things all year long. Not a ton, but try to keep a few out.