Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2012 Trail Cam Thread...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well I'm a little bummed out right now to be honest. For whatever reason, he went from being an 8-point as a 2.5 and 3.5 year old, to a 7-point as a 4 year old. He also lost the splits on his G2's that he started last year. Not sure WTF that is all about and it really makes me rethink having him as my primary target. The three years of history is great and all, but I felt he would be a 150" 8 with split G2's this year and now he is nothing but a wide deer that I happen to have history with. Kinda stinks...

On the flip side of the coin, I have plenty of beard to chase in the spring! There is a fourth bird in this group that did not show in this video, but his beard is just as long as the others. These are the birds that schooled me all spring...

[video=youtube;bZO0YPE90i8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZO0YPE90i8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I can understand where you're coming from Jesse but looks like he ain't all done yet. Mostly yes but a few tips look to be still bulbed. I'd still wack his ass and be happy and content. He's got age,width,spread and mass. Just sayin'!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
How in the hell does he just lose a G3 at 4 years old?!?

Ron and I have seen them lose points but the inches show up somewhere else. Such as mass,add a split or kicker or even two points pushed into each other making one tine that was palmated. They're weird like that.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
How in the hell does he just lose a G3 at 4 years old?!?

Big Sixx went from a six the first year I saw him, to a seven, then back to a six.

How are you 100% positive it is him, does he have identifying marks? Maybe he didn't hit up your minerals enough this year to throw those splits again.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Definitely looks like the same buck to me. The curvature of that left G2 is unmistakable. Bummer man... But who knows, he could blow up as a 5 yr old.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think he's the same deer as well. The way the beams curve around and it just looks like he had a bad jump as far as his over all rack BUT his mass looks nicer and his beams look longer as well as his spread. All deer are different also like JB pointed out maybe next year is where he goes ape shit but I'm telling you, when you're in your stand he his neck is swollen and that sum bitch comes walking thru he will get your attention. He ain't no subordinate 2.5 year old anymore.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Not to say I wouldn't be a bit disappointed, but unless your are concerned with the score this is a mature buck that you have history with and would make a heck of a trophy. Remember nets are for fish.

Until you get a crisp/clear picture of his antlers I wouldn't be surprised if he sprouts something there in that G3 location. His G2 on that side is massive compared to the rest and if he ends up splitting both G2's will be very impressive.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not to say I wouldn't be a bit disappointed, but unless your are concerned with the score this is a mature buck that you have history with and would make a heck of a trophy. Remember nets are for fish.

Oh, I agree. But with the prospect of this new farm and knowing this deer is a survivor, it may be tempting to see IF he could get to 5 years old. I wouldn't pass up a chip shot, but I don't see me getting TOO carried away with killing this deer either. He spends a good bit of his time on our farm and has since late October of 2010, yet I have never laid eyes on him. In terms of "hard to kill" deer, he would rank near the top for me given his proven elusiveness...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Finally had a chance to get out to my new farm and check cams on Friday. Overall, I was pretty pleased with what I found. I have a feeling there is bigger on this farm, but the collection of bucks is unreal. Just going off 9 days worth of pics from 3 different cameras, I had a buck to doe ratio of 3:1!!! On one camera alone, I had 880 pics and 15 different bucks in that time. At one point, I had 8 different bucks on camera within a 5 minute time frame. Several of the bucks show great potential and a couple have my attention, but one deer in particular is #1 on the hit list for right now. I'll start with the smaller bucks on the list...

This buck has a kicker off his brow tines and is a good looking deer, just not one I would shoot...

I called this deer "Stubbs" due to his stubby G3's. He is a cool looking deer and one I would love to see make it through the season...

I absolutely love this deer, but I wish he was a year or two older. Gonna call him Heavy D...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here are the bucks that got my attention...

First up is a sorta, kinda 10-point that has a heck of a body on him. Gonna call him Cartman...

This buck is a deer I will have a hard time passing, but will do so up until mid-November or so. I believe he is only a 3.5 year old and has loads of potential, so I'd hate to cut him short. I've been waiting for a buck I could name Brutus and he fits the bill for me...

Finally the deer that gets my blood boiling and will be the sole focus of my efforts until I find something bigger. I think the name Dozer covers it well...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Looking good Jesse, hopefully you will get an opportunity to lay the smack down on Dozer!

Also, you have to love that many bucks with loads of potential out there right now. That property looks to be a buck producing machine!!