Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So I bought an Elite GT500 today. . .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I ever see an example on a 3D course, or from a treestand, where a particular high-dollar sight saved the day, I'll buy it. I agree with Been, and Jesse...work on the Indian. And BTW, I shoot cheap, bent arrows...and am happy with how I shoot. This indian shoots about 300 days a year, though mostly with trad equipment. I could care less what name is on my sights. If I miss, it wasn't the sight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That just reminded me of another point I left out of my last post. Axis adjustment. On most cheaper sights, you don't get 2nd or 3rd axis adjustment. Properly setting 2nd and 3rd axis on a sight will ABSOLUTELY make you a better shooter.

How?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Alright. I am not going to disagree completely with you fellers. Dialing in two bows thru Skeeter Creek and working on my form throughout the year is not going to hurt the Indian any. Even so, I am going to spend what i can afford to give the Indian as much advantage as I can. Fair enough?:smiley_crocodile:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

2nd axis is pretty obvious... If it's off and you're shooting on level ground, you'll be more prone to missing left and right on longer shots (due to a possible unknown cant/torque of the riser). Same thing with 3rd axis, except it'll be realized on uphill or downhill shots instead of level shots. If your 2nd and 3rd axes are not dialed in, you're opening yourself up for inconsistencies at longer ranges.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nothing wrong with buying what you want, just rest assurred if there is an issue ( and I haven't a clue if there is), no one will ever buy enough of the "right" gear to fix it. Shooting a bow well is almost ALL INDIAN... and what folks consider to be "shooting well" will vary from one person to the next. I know perfectly good bowhunters that shoot what I would call HORRIBLE, yet somehow they kill what they shoot at. I wouldn't waste my time sitting in a frozen tree if I shot as they do... I wouldn't have the confidence that I could kill what I shot at...but they do it.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
2nd axis is pretty obvious... If it's off and you're shooting on level ground, you'll be more prone to missing left and right on longer shots (due to a possible unknown cant/torque of the riser). Same thing with 3rd axis, except it'll be realized on uphill or downhill shots instead of level shots. If your 2nd and 3rd axes are not dialed in, you're opening yourself up for inconsistencies at longer ranges.

Again, a good indian doesn't torque. just sayin. :)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Again, a good indian doesn't torque. just sayin. :)

Even the best Indian doesn't have a bubble level built into his eyes... just sayin. :) Bow torque be damned, without a level you can't tell whether your bow is canted ever so slightly to the left or the right.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you are convinced you need 3rd axis on your sight, you do. Whatever works for you. I assure you, I do not.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I won't get into the debate. I will say though, this is an Indian that checks the bubble before every shot. lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I won't get into the debate. I will say though, this is an Indian that checks the bubble before every shot. lmao

Not just that bubble, Phil.

Perhaps I have been wrong in thinking I get along well without setting 3rd axis...... I will prick with it a little more.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ya cornfused me Brock. Only bubble I am aware of is the one on the sight window. I am missing something.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry Phil. Same one, just referencing 3rd axis... That bubble can give "false level" if the 3rd axis has not been properly set. It's a degree of accuracy thing that most people would never notice. Sorry to have thrown more in for you than I should have. You keep your bubble in the middle you'll be fine! :)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
3rd axis cost me a very legit shot at a buckle....its makes a huge difference on hilly terrain with up and down shot..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No problem Brock. I was just scratching my head.

Update on the GT500. Given all the rave reviews on the Axcel Armortech I let my fingers do some searching tonight. I wanted to stay in the $125-140 range, but ended up dropping $150 shipped on an Armortech HD. New in box, never used. Should satisfy my sight needs for the next several bows. I just hope it doesn't make me want to throw away the Sword Twilight Hunter I have on the Hoyt. Biting the bullet and spending money on one of these was bad enough. I sho nuf don't need to drop the coin twice to update the Hoyt. Something tells me the Hoyt is probably going to spend most of it's time in the case this year as a backup bow anyway. lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No problem Brock. I was just scratching my head.

Update on the GT500. Given all the rave reviews on the Axcel Armortech I let my fingers do some searching tonight. I wanted to stay in the $125-140 range, but ended up dropping $150 shipped on an Armortech HD. New in box, never used. Should satisfy my sight needs for the next several bows. I just hope it doesn't make me want to throw away the Sword Twilight Hunter I have on the Hoyt. Biting the bullet and spending money on one of these was bad enough. I sho nuf don't need to drop the coin twice to update the Hoyt. Something tells me the Hoyt is probably going to spend most of it's time in the case this year as a backup bow anyway. lmao

Don't worry, it will....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'll buy it first Phil. That is a quality sight. Aluminum housing and some pins that move on a track all the rest is "heated seats". ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Beener. One thing at a time. Let me get the new bow dialed in. Let me verify the Hoyt is on. Let me see how they stack up against each other. Before I get too excited, let me shoot the new bow, new rest, and new sight first. Guess it is time to order a rest thru Skeeter Creek.