Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So I bought an Elite GT500 today. . .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am starting to think I might just Hogg It. After my conversation with Milo, he told me some things which have been selling points. Got some more reading to do now. dang Milo. lol

Lol... I saw that coming from a mile away. But that's what common sense does to people... It helps them see the light. Spot Hogg or Axcel Armortech if I were you, Phil. I'm not sure if the Hoggs have it or not, but the tool-less adjustment on the Armortechs is a bad ass feature.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yup. Freeeegin' Milo. haha

What can I say? Skeeter Creek Outdoors cannot be beat. Combine that with the service SCO offers and the fact I will probably have this sight on my next 2-3 bows. . . well, sometimes you just need to drop some coin. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, Milo shot me a price and I should have pulled the trigger immediately. Supplier has changed their website all around and inventory. Same sight jumped $50. Now I am hesitating and sort of back to the drawing board. Trying to narrow it down again. I am awaiting a phone call to Black Gold. I want to speak to them direct about a couple things. If I don't go the Black Gold "Surge" route, I am considering a couple others.

Here is what I am currently looking at:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/copper-john-mark-iii-professional-sight.html
Copper john looks nice. Pay extra for a light and block for third axis adjustment though. Might put me back into Hogg It price.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/apex-gear-gamechanger-sight-camo.html
Apex sight looks nice and Flutie liked his with a second from Jesse. Too bad they are backordered.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sword-maximus-5-pin-sight.html
Maximus looks nice. Bit more than I wanted for a Sword sight, but micro adjust tooless and has a light already. Downside- small window. 1.625" inside diameter on the sight window.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/extreme-1650-recon-019-5-pin-sight.html
I really like the extended mount on this sight. I think getting it out farther in front of you would be a very nice feature to improve accuracy. Downsides- Never heard much about them and smaller sight window like the Sword at 1 5/8" housing.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sword-apex-3rd-plane-sight.html
This Sword sight is kinda leading the charge right now. Extended dove tail. 2nd/3rd axis adjustment. 2" sight window. Has the light. Only downside I am seeing is no micro adjust/tooless capabilities. Upside, has every other feature and "only" $119

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/black-gold-flashpoint-hd-sight.html
Here is my other choice. Black Gold Flashpoint HD. Looks nice. Not an extended dovetail though. Does have inchwheel micro adjust windage, but doesn't appear to have micro adjust for height? No light, but supposedly not necessary with these.

I don't know. Other option is to simply drop some serious coin and go Spot Hogg. I think I am making this too hard!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sword makes the 3rd Plane with micro adjust but the housing is smaller. When I was choosing I was deciding between Sword and CJ.

I would rather have a large aperature than micro adjust. You fiddle with it once and done, generally.

And dang did you miss the boat on the SpotHogg!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I called Sword to ask. They are out of Defiance, Ohio. Tooless is only for windage. Sight pins are not offered in a tooless option. Still need to whip out the hex keys. If it was the tooless model it jumps up in price comparable to Spot Hogg or Black Gold. $175-200 ish.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm a big fan of tool-less adjustment and micro-adjust features. You're right, once you get things sighted in you won't have to mess with it much if you don't shoot very often. I'm a lifelong "tweaker" though, so I'm always adjusting something or changing something. Even not doing it often, it's still fuggin sweet not having to get the dang allen wrench set out. Micro-adjust is awesome... It's a bitch trying to fine tune a sight's windage or elevation by simply "bumping" a loosened bracket back and forth. And, I may be in the minority on this one, but I like a smaller 1.5 or 1.75" sight housing. For my anchor point and draw length, I have an easier time centering up the housing in my peep if it's a smaller housing. As far as hunting goes, I haven't noticed a significant difference in target acquisition between the 1.5" and larger 2.0" sight housings.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not much of a tweaker when it comes to my bow. Dial it in, don't mess with it. No 3D shoots. Hunting only. Lots of my practice is 1-6 arrows. I want to get dialed in. I want to know I can make it count warmed up or cold. Every day I practice I take the first shot at a different yardage. I want to know I can hit my mark at 20 or 60yds cold. If I am off, then I shoot a few more. If I am on, sometimes I just go put the bow back in the case.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm a big fan of tool-less adjustment and micro-adjust features. You're right, once you get things sighted in you won't have to mess with it much if you don't shoot very often. I'm a lifelong "tweaker" though, so I'm always adjusting something or changing something. Even not doing it often, it's still fuggin sweet not having to get the dang allen wrench set out. Micro-adjust is awesome... It's a bitch trying to fine tune a sight's windage or elevation by simply "bumping" a loosened bracket back and forth. And, I may be in the minority on this one, but I like a smaller 1.5 or 1.75" sight housing. For my anchor point and draw length, I have an easier time centering up the housing in my peep if it's a smaller housing. As far as hunting goes, I haven't noticed a significant difference in target acquisition between the 1.5" and larger 2.0" sight housings.

Yep...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just for a differing opinion... I shoot at least 200 arrows a week (usually more like 360) and don't "tweak" my sight unless I change something major (harness/rest/arrows). Their is no need if the bow is set up properly. I go by the thought of shooting more and becoming more proficient than chasing with more tuning. I believe most problems come from the archer than the equipment (especially the grip). A great example is someone thinking them shooting an arrow with a straightness of .001 instead of .003 is going to make them shoot any better.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm with Beener, I think the only time I've adjusted my bow in the last two years was when I moved my pins when I cranked up my draw weight and once when my sight came loose and I had to dial it back in.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just for a differing opinion... I shoot at least 200 arrows a week (usually more like 360) and don't "tweak" my sight unless I change something major (harness/rest/arrows). Their is no need if the bow is set up properly. I go by the thought of shooting more and becoming more proficient than chasing with more tuning. I believe most problems come from the archer than the equipment (especially the grip). A great example is someone thinking them shooting an arrow with a straightness of .001 instead of .003 is going to make them shoot any better.

That's pretty much my line of thinking as well. I know guys like JB and Greg like to tinker just to tinker, but also shoot enough to maintain good form and know that the Indian is really the difference maker. I shoot more than I tinker just because I'm not a tinkering kind of dude. Don't take this the wrong way Phil, but in IMHO, you are focused TOO much on what the equipment will do for you while stating you only shoot 1-6 arrows a practice session. I suppose if you do that every day, then I'm probably off base with my line of thinking. However knowing how busy you are and knowing there were some issues this past fall, maybe the Indian needs to worry less about sight housing size and such, and grab some more range time. Dropping big coin on archery equipment is great and it will help you shoot better. But consistency in form is what makes you accurate and that only comes with tons of range time...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Don't get me wrong I do like quality equipment and missing out on that sight stinks. I would still buy a great sight but just know a sight isn't going to make you a better shooter, micro adjust or not. The biggest thing in a sight for me besides being well built is to match your peep with sight housing.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
When I broke my Toxonics 4 or 5 years and I was strapped for cash, I bolted on a cheap ass TruGlo from MC Sports. I shoot just as well with it as I did with the Toxonics. But I'm not the best guy to ask for advice when it comes to upgrading archery accessories, i'm still shooting my whisker biscuit from 7 years ago.. :smiley_crocodile:

If you decide to go with the Copper john you can get the light kit an 2nd axis kit(they all come with 3rd axis) for $16.74 shipped for both kits,from bowhunterssupplystore.com..There great to deal with an have great prices an cheap shipping rates(99 cents per item)....

I went with out the micro adjust.Only because if you decide you do want/need it later,its only like 14$ shipped to get it

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Could be Jesse. I am thinking trimming shooting lanes will help me more than practice or better equipment! hahahah

Shooting practice sessions from an elevated platform is going to be in the lineup this year as well.

Outside of this, pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong, I have and do shoot more than 1-6 arrows prior to the season. Once the season is in, I probably hit it a couple times a week with an arrow to half dozen. Like I said, I want to make it count when I am cold. Shooting hours at a time is certainly not in my schedule.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I get what you're saying, Beener, but IMO there ARE reasons to adjust your sight even if the bow is set up properly. Say for example a guy has his bow tuned to perfection, but wants to tweak "himself." In an effort to become a better "Indian" he starts experimenting with grip, or with anchor point, or with draw length... These are pretty normal things for any archer to experiment with... Yet changing any of the three could result in the archer having to adjust his sight or his pins. Times like this the allen wrench set becomes a royal pain in the ass. But this really isn't the point... The point is, whether you tweak a bunch or you don't tweak at all, tool-less and micro-adjustment on a sight is just flat out EASIER to work with.

Don't get me wrong I do like quality equipment and missing out on that sight stinks. I would still buy a great sight but just know a sight isn't going to make you a better shooter, micro adjust or not. The biggest thing in a sight for me besides being well built is to match your peep with sight housing.

Brock said this too, and to a certain extent I agree, but there are of course exceptions. Say you buy an el-cheapo sight and it's got some junk pins that halo like a mother fugger... I bet you'd rather have one with nice crisp pins when you're eyeing up that target. Or you're at full draw on a big buck and it's during the last few minutes of shooting light... Would you rather have the dull, hard-to-see el cheapo pins or would you rather have some quality pins that you can see, even without a light? These are a couple extreme examples, but they're examples nonetheless. There are certain situations/scenarios where a quality sight CAN make you a better shooter.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
How much wood can a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? I am purchasing the 5th and 6th axis adjustments as we speak...hell i might just buy the 7th too...actually I'm gonna shoot for team ohio blue tip this year...duct tape and matches work well

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How much wood can a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? I am purchasing the 5th and 6th axis adjustments as we speak...hell i might just buy the 7th too...actually I'm gonna shoot for team ohio blue tip this year...duct tape and matches work well

That just reminded me of another point I left out of my last post. Axis adjustment. On most cheaper sights, you don't get 2nd or 3rd axis adjustment. Properly setting 2nd and 3rd axis on a sight will ABSOLUTELY make you a better shooter.