Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So I bought an Elite GT500 today. . .

Huckleberry Finn

Phil I don't know much about sights, but I put a $40 sight on the new to me used bow I bought last year. It works. I killed 2 deer with it. But I'd like to replace it as soon as I can for one with small pins. Probably buy into the higher shelf range. Just a thought.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Phil, I had an Apex sight before I bought the Axcel Armortech sight, and it was very nice. The micro adjustment on it works very well, plus it comes with a sight light. That would be my choice of the ones you had listed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Phil, I had an Apex sight before I bought the Axcel Armortech sight, and it was very nice. The micro adjustment on it works very well, plus it comes with a sight light. That would be my choice of the ones you had listed.

I'll second the sight Greg had. It was a quality sight...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Completely disagree. Top shooters shoot high-dollar sights because they are GIVEN to them, so they can sell them to you. That's fact. No way a sight (being a 50 dollar Walmart sight, or a 250 dollar SureLoc), is going to make a difference in a hunting situation. There is not that much difference. I will agree a person may see a difference if they choose to throw their bow down from a 25 foot stand vs using a pull rope. Some are built a bit better...but I don't throw my bow on a rock from 25 feet anyway.

I will respectfully agree to disagree. :)

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Phil I have been shooting a G5 Optix LE for the past couple years. It runs right in the range you are talking about, it is a 5 pin site. Just thought you might like to know.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Single pins are nice for 3D, but man I'd have a headache if I tried to use one for hunting.

Yea, I don't know. I've always thought the same thing, but Jake says it's really not a hinderance while hunting. I guess it all depends on your setups... If you're consistently setting stands within 30 yds of trails, I bet you could get away with using only one pin.

Yea, I don't know. I've always thought the same thing, but Jake says it's really not a hinderance while hunting. I guess it all depends on your setups... If you're consistently setting stands within 30 yds of trails, I bet you could get away with using only one pin.
Muti pin slider...Best of both worlds IMO...My new set up is a 5 pin Copper John Mark 1 with 2 pins removed mounted on a Copper John Mark 4 slider bracket with a 2nd axis kit..25,35 an 42 pins(call it weird I dont care).The the sight tape,slider an bottom pin take over from there...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Muti pin slider...Best of both worlds IMO...My new set up is a 5 pin Copper John Mark 1 with 2 pins removed mounted on a Copper John Mark 4 slider bracket with a 2nd axis kit..25,35 an 42 pins(call it weird I dont care).The the sight tape,slider an bottom pin take over from there...

I'd get screwed up in the heat of the moment and still use the wrong pin. That or I would spend too long hem-hawing around pinking a yardage and the deer would have passed through my shooting lane. I keep it simple; Three pins 20, 30, 40, and I can hold on the top of the back for 50 and take out the lungs, if needed.

I'd get screwed up in the heat of the moment and still use the wrong pin. That or I would spend too long hem-hawing around pinking a yardage and the deer would have passed through my shooting lane. I keep it simple; Three pins 20, 30, 40, and I can hold on the top of the back for 50 and take out the lungs, if needed.
We have similar set ups really,moving the slider is for off season longer range shooting..Like you I have my 3 pins set,on foam I am in the vitals from 10-15 out to 45 yrds with those 3 pins an my arrows trajectory using those pin setting ..50yrds I would do the same as you,not move the slider but hold high(about 8 or 9inches above my intended poi )..The slider part is just for longer range off season shooting an wont get moved while in the woods.That way I can keep the same setup most of the year.My 25pin puts me at just under 2in high at 15yrd an about 2.5inch low at 30yrds..My 35yrd pin shoots just over 2.5 high at 30/31yrds an just over 2.5 low at 39 yrds.. ..At 40yrds an beyond the 42 pin takes over put me about dead even at 40 an about 3inch low at 45yrd...Really I only wanna use the first 2 pins in the woods because my judging gets dicey past 35 or so yards an I dont use a range finder .Plus only using the 2 pins I could simply decide if its over 30 or under 30 an then pick the appropriate pin.It sounds complicated but its really not.. .I did it this way because I have missed 2 deer due to misjudgement...

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have missed some deer. Tree limbs a couple times, and I rushed one shot. Clean misses each time. I have a range finder and i use it. I am going to keep it simple because I have killed me some deer and I hope to kill me some more I know what works for me. Five pin sight 30-40-50-60-70 or 25-35-45-55-65 or whatever it ends up being. When the moment of truth arrives, my thoughts are going to be on my form, my breathing, my pin, and the spot on the deer I picked out to aim at. I am not as seasoned as many of these guys, but I know enough to use the KSS rule. That will have to work for me. Thanks for sharing though Nick. Just sounds too confusing for hunting. 3D? Maybe. Hunting? Not for me.

I have missed some deer. Tree limbs a couple times, and I rushed one shot. Clean misses each time. I have a range finder and i use it. I am going to keep it simple because I have killed me some deer and I hope to kill me some more I know what works for me. Five pin sight 30-40-50-60-70 or 25-35-45-55-65 or whatever it ends up being. When the moment of truth arrives, my thoughts are going to be on my form, my breathing, my pin, and the spot on the deer I picked out to aim at. I am not as seasoned as many of these guys, but I know enough to use the KSS rule. That will have to work for me. Thanks for sharing though Nick. Just sounds too confusing for hunting. 3D? Maybe. Hunting?

3 missed here One tree limb,1 wrong pin but known yardage (rushed) and one mid judged on the way back from the stand(happened fast,wouldn't have had time to range him with a RF)

.The way I described might have been the confusing part.This actually is KISS method IMO....Think of it like this,its a fixed 3 pin sight(forget the slider part)..25,35 an 42(45 if ya like).. Holding my 25pin on the X from 15 to 30yrds keeps all my arrows in the same 5inch-ish circle..Make sense? the 35 pin does this from 30/31 to about 40yrd all while..NO hold over or under at all..An the 42 pin cover 40 to about 45..Basically aim for center on every shot after determining the yardage..I would have to aim high beyond 45ish an maybe aim low on close shots... ..The slider is simply used to move the bottom pin lower if I shoot past 45 or 50yrds out to 100yrd in the off season..Does that make more sense..More then 3 pins clutters my sight picture..

I opted for non micro adjust on my CJ's.Only because you can add it for like 20$ later an it drop right in if i felt I needed it.,They come with 3rd axis adjustable level and 2nd axis is 10 or 15$ to add.The pins do not micro just the wind-age an elevation...

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No problem Nick. Honestly thought you were recommending that and I was confused reading it. For me, the KSS rule works. In this case I want to keep it simple. Want to go 5 pins and have the ability to shoot out there 50-60-70 yds. For deer? umm. . .no. If I see a yote out there at 70yds though, I am letting one fly. If I am practicing, I plan on shooting the GT500 as far as it can effectively shoot while it is in my hands. I WILL practice to 70yds or more if I can. If I can pick up the bow at the end of the day, range find my spot at 70 yds and hit on the first shot in a pie plate, well, at this point I might reconsider taking shots over 40. As it is now, 35-40 is my limit. With the faster bow, new goodies attached to it, and practice, maybe I extend that range this year. I dunno. That is all bud. I wasn't trying to get snooty with you. Just want to keep it simple.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I wasn't trying to get snooty with you. Just want to keep it simple.

*Cough* Liar *Cough*

snooty.jpg

:smiley_couch:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am starting to think I might just Hogg It. After my conversation with Milo, he told me some things which have been selling points. Got some more reading to do now. dang Milo. lol