Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So I bought an Elite GT500 today. . .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I vote wisker buiscut........

First choice, but you know I like to do things the hard way so I will probably go with something else. lmao

Jesse- Looks great but $200 for a sight? Ouch! I don't know man. I am just not sure I want to jump this high for a sight.

I should add, I already have a Tightspot quiver on the Hoyt. I would like to be able to just mount the quiver on either bow.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yeah i bet he doesnt use a ford ranger to pull his trailer full of mowers!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah i bet he doesnt use a ford ranger to pull his trailer full of mowers!

You are right. 2006 F350 reg cab long bed, 4x4, diesel. It is overkill. . . until it is time to haul the bobcat or plow snow. Option B is 2006 Dodge crew cab long bed, 6x6, diesel 6sp. There again, overkill until it is time to plow snow, pull the bobcat or camper. lmao

Difference here? I make a living with these trucks. Setting up a second bow is a luxury. It is only going to be as good as the guy holding the bow. $40 sight or $200 sight might not make a difference. hahahahhahaha

FWIW- I do have a 2005 Colorado 5cyl auto, reg cab 2wd truck that pulls a 1000lb trailer around. Right tool for the job. If Milo, Jesse, Greg, Jb, or any of the rest of you tell me a $200 sight would be well worth the extra $60-100 I will take it into consideration. I do not skimp on optics for long guns. Am I making a mistake by narrowing my bow sight to a certain price point? Being honest here. I don't know if I would gain much or not.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Some sites retain their value while others are reduced to half price if you try to move them. An upgraded hogg will hold its value very well especially with the sco stainless upgrade..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yeah, I'm just busting your balls Phil. As I said, it it were me doing this build I would be building for longevity, hence my willingness to drop big $ on all my accessories. However for you, any of the sights you listed would be sufficient. You can always upgrade later.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
2 bills for a site?.... uh, yeah, Phil...you are thinking logically. No way I'd drop that much cash for a bow site...ever.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
2 bills for a site?.... uh, yeah, Phil...you are thinking logically. No way I'd drop that much cash for a bow site...ever.

I've had both types... "affordable" and expensive. As with most other things hunting, you get what you pay for when it comes to sights. The armortech I have cost me over $230, but IMO it was worth EVERY penny. It's true what they say, it's the Indian and not the bow... But the bottom line is, a quality sight will make an Indian a more proficient Indian.

It's all about what you want to do with it, Phil. If it's a "beater-bow," then put a beater sight on it. There is a reason why top-shelf professional archers shoot with high-dollar sights. If they could get away with cheap ones, they would... The difference in quality and proficiency are like night and day between an economy sight and a high-grade sight like a spot hogg or an axcel armortech. I understand what you're saying about not wanting to spend more on the sight than you did on the bow... But IMO the sight is just as important, if not more important, than the bow itself... Hunting, 3D, or otherwise.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've had both types... "affordable" and expensive. As with most other things hunting, you get what you pay for when it comes to sights. The armortech I have cost me over $230, but IMO it was worth EVERY penny. It's true what they say, it's the Indian and not the bow... But the bottom line is, a quality sight will make an Indian a more proficient Indian.

It's all about what you want to do with it, Phil. If it's a "beater-bow," then put a beater sight on it. There is a reason why top-shelf professional archers shoot with high-dollar sights. If they could get away with cheap ones, they would... The difference in quality and proficiency are like night and day between an economy sight and a high-grade sight like a spot hogg or an axcel armortech. I understand what you're saying about not wanting to spend more on the sight than you did on the bow... But IMO the sight is just as important, if not more important, than the bow itself... Hunting, 3D, or otherwise.

Completely disagree. Top shooters shoot high-dollar sights because they are GIVEN to them, so they can sell them to you. That's fact. No way a sight (being a 50 dollar Walmart sight, or a 250 dollar SureLoc), is going to make a difference in a hunting situation. There is not that much difference. I will agree a person may see a difference if they choose to throw their bow down from a 25 foot stand vs using a pull rope. Some are built a bit better...but I don't throw my bow on a rock from 25 feet anyway.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am a value guy and the answer for me lies somewhere in the middle. I went with Sword and would again. If I were to be hunting out in the bush with no way to fix a problem I may go with the almost $300 sights (probably not as I would just pack a back up).

I shoot a $50 sight as well as a $250 one. Even if I made $200k a year I don't think I would spend that much on a sight. I also wouldn't spend $1000 on a scope for a rifle. Sure, $400-$600 but never any more. Unless my life/profession depended on the scope.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am a value guy and the answer for me lies somewhere in the middle. I went with Sword and would again. If I were to be hunting out in the bush with no way to fix a problem I may go with the almost $300 sights (probably not as I would just pack a back up).

I shoot a $50 sight as well as a $250 one. Even if I made $200k a year I don't think I would spend that much on a sight. I also wouldn't spend $1000 on a scope for a rifle. Sure, $400-$600 but never any more. Unless my life/profession depended on the scope.

I think you and I are a lot alike. I have spent $300 on a $900 Weaver scope once. I have spent $200-300 on a couple others. Sights? I don't know. I can see $100-140. There has to be a happy medium in this price range I would think. The Sword twilight hunter I have on my Hoyt has been adequate. Sure, it is a bit of a pain when adjusting sights to do the nudge, nudge, dangit! Once the sight pins are where they need to be it is usually not any big deal though. I thought micro adjust would be handy.

I am seriously looking at those Black Gold sights. Those look like a nice happy medium to me. Simple, bright, micro adjust, and appear to be fairly durable.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My first bow site was 9$. It had 5 brass pins that I painted. It worked, though it was a real pain in the tail to get the pins set, and they would rattle loose if you didn't use a little fletch tite on them. I have a couple of SureLoc brackets in a box out in the garage that cost a small fortune back in the day. I am shooting a couple of Toxonic something or others now, and they are great, but not noticably better than the 25 dollar TruGlo's I have on Mason's bows. If I were going to sink money into any accessory for a bow it would not be a sight...it would be the string and cable. Phil, once you have your sight set, you shouldn't be fooling with it much anyway. If you have good strings and cables, your bow will shoot the same everytime you pick it up. If you are constantly fooling with your sights to fix shooting problems, you would be looking at the wrong side of the bow. All my opinion of course, and it felt necessary to share it. :)