Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Python Locks?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Up until now, I never really had the need to lock up my trail cams. Gaining access to some new property has me excited to run cams, but hesitant at the same time due to not yet knowing who's roaming the woods. I've decided that buying a few python locks would be the best way to go, but I'm unsure what size to get. The 3/16" is the most affordable, but doesn't offer as much security as the 5/16" cable. What are you guys using and how do you like them?

Right now I'm leaning toward the 3/16" simply for the value... and I'm thinking, the lock is only going to keep the "honest people honest" anyway. I'm assuming if someone wants the cam bad enough, they're going to put in the same effort to cut the 3/16" as they would the 5/16". Any thoughts?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have 8 of the 3/16" Python locks and love them. Best damn lock out there for securing your cams IMO. The way I figure is if I lose a locked up cam, it will be to someone who destroys the cam in the process or they will come back after finding it. If they destroy the cam, then the extra 1/8" is of no help. If they come back to cut it off the tree, I don't see the extra 1/8" mattering either.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have 8 of the 3/16" Python locks and love them. Best damn lock out there for securing your cams IMO. The way I figure is if I lose a locked up cam, it will be to someone who destroys the cam in the process or they will come back after finding it. If they destroy the cam, then the extra 1/8" is of no help. If they come back to cut it off the tree, I don't see the extra 1/8" mattering either.

Ive got the same as Jesse, upon his recomendations, and especially for the spypoints their perfect.

Ok good... That's basically the same way I am looking at it. Unless someone tells me otherwise here quick, I'm going to grab a few off of Amazon... They're less than 8 bucks each.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
X3 I have 5 of them and if they want them they're coming into the woods with either a set of bolt cutters or a fuggin chainsaw to get them..... By far the best lock for the money.... Although I wish I would have bought more of them when I found them on EBAY..... Price was by far the best and free shipping too boot.... Now I can't find them at that price anymore lol....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Send me the link cause I can use a few.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=theoh-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B000XTPNZK" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hold off. I'll post I here in about 45 min through the amazon affiliate.

Oh ok... Does it have to be a link here on TOO for the forum to get credit? I clicked on the Amazon tab up top and was browsing that way... Have a few other things to get as well.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh no. If you go through the amazon tab at the top that will work for everything. I was just going to post a link to the locks here for ease of purchase for guys. :)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was that #2 on the first page of the python locks the 3/16 cable? That's about what I paid for mine..... If I remember right.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh no. If you go through the amazon tab at the top that will work for everything. I was just going to post a link to the locks here for ease of purchase for guys. :)

Cool beans. :smiley_clap:

Was that #2 on the first page of the python locks the 3/16 cable? That's about what I paid for mine..... If I remember right.....

On my screen, it was the third one down on the list. $7.99

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tah Dah

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=theoh-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B000XTPNZK" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It doesnt matter if they are on there or not. If they want the camera they are going to get the camera. I have only had one camera stolen and it had a 5/16" python cabe on it.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
One of the biggest things on diameter is making sure it will fit through your camera. I have 3/16" for my bushnells and some have lock boxes. Like stated above.... its unfortunate but if they want it they will get it! Ive have them cut lock boxes out of trees along with the python lock! Either way good luck and hope the new property produces