Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3-Day Turkey Hunt

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Well, I learned a lot and I did shoot, but I didn't kill my gobbler on my parents farm.

Thursday morning, I hunted Williams Co., Ohio, the spot I've been hunting this year. I didn't see or hear anything so I left for Michigan at 10am. I went straight to the farm and setup my blind for the afternoon/evening.

It was so freakin' hot in that blind that I felt like Ace Ventura when he was in the Rhino.

At 6:30 three deer came out about 25 yards from my blind. All three were bucks with growth. A little while later, a few hens came out and walked the field behind me followed by a Tom. I got out of the blind and tried to cross the ditch and get to the field, but they saw me. That deal was over.:smiley_boos:
[video=youtube;DjtdOtF1QlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtdOtF1QlQ[/video]

Friday morning was slow until I heard a hen yelping. I actually called her right into my setup and that felt pretty cool. She was alone and then she left after she realized the decoys didn't want to play.
[video=youtube;Ohp2wMOZH-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohp2wMOZH-I[/video]

I didn't hunt Friday night. My dad and I went out to a few breweries and taverns and then dinner. We are much closer now and I enjoy learning things about his past in the army and his iron working days. Things I never knew.

I set up early Saturday morning. I decided to hunt the field edge even though it's not my dad's property. I sat down right near where I saw the turkeys Thursday evening. As I sit there, I hear a tom on the backside of the farm, so I get up and move. A grey tree frog jumped on my barrel.

As it gets lighter, I see the damn turkeys coming out where I first setup. Lesson learned. The tom watched over his hens as they ate. He didn't pay any attention to my calls. They did not walk towards me and they started to make there way back to the woods. At that point I got down and army crawled 40 yards. I got as close as I could, but I was still too far. I shot anyway and didn't connect or he was just too far to do any damage. No feathers no dead bird in the woods. Here is where I ended up shooting in prone, wet and muddy. I shot when he was 10 yards from the woods. You can't see him in the clip.
[video=youtube;4r7y7Wzc6Tk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7y7Wzc6Tk[/video]
Thanks for reading about my little adventure.:smiley_bril:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Three things jump out at me as friggin' awesome.

1) You went after them and tried to make it happen. Great inspiration for those of us struggling right now.
2) Time spent with your Dad. Enough said. This is just something we need to soak up like a sponge as our parents age.
3) That is one killer blind!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Thanks for taking the time to put that together and post...that was a fun little short story...and time with family is priceless...sounds like a very good weekend!