Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New to TOO

runhunter

Just wanted to say I have spent a few days on the site, since I joined, and cannot wait for this upcoming deer season. I'm writing from NJ, close to Philadelphia. I was out in Southern OH about 2 weeks ago with my girlfriend for her grandmother's 80th birthday party. Her aunt/uncle, a farming family, owns 400 acres, and they don't have time to hunt. They gave me the green light to come out whenever I want, with access to the land, the quads, and a free place to stay if needed. Needless to say, I'm already looking at the calendar trying to decide when I want to make the 8 hour drive. Bow opener in September? A few days in November? A late muzzle loader hunt?? All the above???

Last edited:

runhunter

Trust me, I wish it was a few hours closer, or I'd be there atleast once a month. I've been looking at houses in the area. Work wise, I can transfer and work out of Ashland KY, and have a 30 mile commute. In 3 days, I fell in love with the area, the deer, and everything about it

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just wanted to say I have spent a few days on the site, since I joined, and cannot wait for this upcoming deer season. I'm writing from NJ, close to Philadelphia. I was out in Southern OH about 2 weeks ago with my girlfriend for her grandmother's 80th birthday party. Her aunt/uncle, a farming family, owns 400 acres, and they don't have time to hunt. They gave me the green light to come out whenever I want, with access to the land, the quads, and a free place to stay if needed. Needless to say, I'm already looking at the calendar trying to decide when I want to make the 8 hour drive. Bow opener in September? A few days in November? A late muzzle loader hunt?? All the above???

Welcome! That's a good score on the hunting property.. If I had to pick I would say the First or Second week in November.. Good luck.. Stick around. Tons of knowledgeable guys around here. I look forward to your posts.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Man, talk about falling in to it! Marry that girl!!! :smiley_clap:

Welcome to TOO! If I were you, I'd come the first or second week of November. Depending on what crops they plant and when they harvest of course. If they plant corn and it stands through gun season, I'd wait for it to come down and consider muzzleloader...

runhunter

Yea, it's not a bad deal to fall into. Uncle J showed me a perfectly symmetrical 10, with 8 inch brows, that was pushing 160. Apparentl it got hit by a car right out front. Not what I'm used to in NJ, where a deer over 100" is considered "big". That deer seemed ok by OH's standards... I guess it's all relative. You guys are spoiled haha. I told him I'd pay $2500 to go to Illinois and shoot a deer like that,... he looked at me, asked me to repeat that last line..and then called me a bleepin idiot haha. Said.. You can come here and kill em for free

I do know on the one plot, it's all sweet corn, not sure when they harvest, but I'll be sure to ask. I may take another trip out this summer, or even just mail them a trail camera or 2 and let em soak for a few weeks. Thanks for the tip!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Welcome to the site, I will throw another vote in for the 1st or 2nd week of November if you can only make it down once this year, but all of the above is a great idea too!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm sure there are a few guys here that would be more than willing to help you do some scouting if you come back. Walking ground with someone who knows that type of terrain can really shorten the learning curve...

runhunter

haha, I'll try to keep her around, all I can do. Not only has she hooked me up with a great spot to hunt, but she passed both her bow and shotgun tests in the past year. She just killed her first tom last weekend. 21 pounder with a 10" Beard, and spurs 1 3/8. I bought her a new Bowtech in January so she's excited to christen it this fall. Not gonna lie.. the girl can shoot... I'm impressed so far

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
haha, I'll try to keep her around, all I can do. Not only has she hooked me up with a great spot to hunt, but she passed both her bow and shotgun tests in the past year. She just killed her first tom last weekend. 21 pounder with a 10" Beard, and spurs 1 3/8. I bought her a new Bowtech in January so she's excited to christen it this fall. Not gonna lie.. the girl can shoot... I'm impressed so far

Sounds like a pretty good girl for even wanting to take on some new hobbies with you!