Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First hunt in New county/area

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Congrats on the gobbler! Mysterious, how it seems like the wheels might fall all the way off somedays but things just find a way to turn themselves around!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Tuesday nite I had plans to hunt by myself weds. At about 8 pm tues I get a text from a friend at work who is a turkey hunter also. We had been watching some birds and they hadn't been round in a few days. Well, he had seen em at 730 in the back of the field they had been frequenting. There were several longbeards so the plan was to both hunt and hopefully double up. I was gonna meet him at 530 the next morning. I ended up running late and not getting there till 535. It was a long walk to circle around and get where we needed to be and avoid spooking the birds. By the time we got there they had just started gobbling about 60 yds off the corner of the field. We couldn't quite get to where we need to be but got about 30 yds from ideally where we should be. We put out a coupledecoys and waited. There were no trees to lean against so we were stuck being tucked in the weeds with no backrest. While waiting for flydown I decided to remove my gunsling from my beretta extrema 2. The do so I have to remove the end cap off my magazine tube. Well, somehow the retainer that hold the magazine spring had came loose and when I hit the last thread it launched everything out into the field! It takes me a second to figure out what happened. Then I start looking at my gun trying to figure out if I can shoot the dang thing. I figure as long as I hold the forarm down tight to keep the barrel seated I will be ok ...for one shot anyways.
The birds end up flying down about 620 and land 70 yds from us....3 longbeards and 3 hens...The longbeards put on a show but will not leave the hens to investigate our calling and decoys. It becomes a stalmate and the longer I sit the more number I become...and the more pain grows. The only thing that keeps me going is not wanting to mess up Carl. Finally one of the birds breaks away and get closer. He is still a ways out but within range. I whisper to Carl...kill that damn bird if he starts to leave..He stands there and struts for a minute then starts back towards his buddies. I whisper shoot it!.....I can't, he says, you shoot it.....Cmon man...shott it I say...he replies , I CAN'T...to much brush....So i sit upright slowly and pull the gun in tighly and settle the bead not knowing exactly what to expect when I pull the trigger and down the bird goes.....
I try to stand up but can't....Carl rolls over and says he can't stand up. The only thing that kept either of us going was not wanting to mess each other up.