Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bachelor Group with antlers...early?

I was out calling coyotes this morning and on my first set up, there was a couple of deer that I had to wait on till they passed me, so as not to spook them. After they passed by, I walked in and set up by an oak tree in the middle of the field. As soon as I sat down, I noticed 3 more deer coming from across the field, so I waited on them to get into the woods with the other 2 deer.

I sat and watched those 5 deer for about 45 minutes. They weren't in any hurry to get into the woods. I was guessing that there were coyotes in there and they were holding up until they left.

Anyway, as they walked towards me, I noticed one of them standing on its' hind legs and attempting to hoof one of the other ones. This is common for does. However, when that deer came back down on all fours, I seen something on its' head. I took a peek through my rifle scope and as it turns out, this was a bachelor group.

I've never seen antlers on a buck, this early in the year. All 5 bucks had antler bases about 4" to 6".

Has anyone ever seen bucks with antlers this early?
Thank you, Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, very common to see them starting this time of year. Mason and I saw 10 in one group on Sunday morning. About half of them had antlers started, one of which was absolutely HUGE. His bases looked like baseballs, and his body looked to be half-again the size of all others. Fun time of year to be out and see them developing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I snapped this pic with my phone year before last while turkey hunting on the same southern Highland Co farm where Mason and I saw the group on Sunday.

Attachments

• 27750_1241542092181_1638201863_552553_3187715_n.jpg
    27750_1241542092181_1638201863_552553_3187715_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 172

epe

Lancaster
About 8 years ago we had a bachelor group come in and all 4 had good development already. It was first week of turkey.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had a bachelor group of 3 bucks walk up to me this morning while turkey hunting. It's pretty normal I'd say.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks JD. I was feeling pretty good about the one I had forking out and maybe 4-6' growth. Now I am bummed.

Well, for what it is worth, here are a couple. Seems there is a group of three running together. Seems the younger of the three is sporting more bone than the older ones. Looks like a couple of mature deer I will be keeping an eye on.

Attachments

• PICT0190 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    PICT0190 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 144
  • PICT0206 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    PICT0206 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 141

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Calling coyotes during turkey season...well that's something Ive never heard before...

As far as velvet bucks, yes this is pretty normal.

Gern186 said:
That's cool. Your'e not going to get your 2nd turkey?
Gern186,
Nope...gotta lot of test material to go over between now and May 9th, for an exam with the Ohio EPA.
If I pass it means a raise ($0.82/hr.), but if I don't it means I go back out fishing and hunting. :smiley_blink: It's a win/win situation, either way.

I'm making plans on getting a groundblind for next year and getting a turkey or two with a bow. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57