Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day!

Kaiser878

ohio
I set out to a new property yesterday that I had been getting pics of gobblers on. WIth the conditions I figured I had better set up on the cornfield.. I had one gobbling behind me at first light. SO I figured I was in for a good day...About 30 min after shooting light I had 2 hens come through. I let them pass and I called a bit....No answers...About 2 min after I called I had a red head pop up on the horizon, followed by 4 more red heads. I thoguht for sure I Was in the money! After they crested the hill I realized all it was was a bunch of damn jakes! THey did just what they were suppsoed to though....But I didnt shoot them!

I thought about it since I Was using my bow, but I Decided against it!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice pic and story. It could have just as easily been four longbeards. Better luck next time!

Huckleberry Finn

Last year I passed on jakes on opening day and never had another within range, but I'm sure your season will improve from here!

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Nothing wrong with seeing jakes! Stock for next year...... I called in several jakes over the past two days as well. It's funny to watch the jakes run in and the 2-3 YO are a bit more leary.

I thought the hatch in my area was poor last year until I checked my cards Sunday afternoon and had a pic of 9 different jakes!

Kaiser878

ohio
Im amazed at the quality of pictures these new cell phones take, as that photo was taken with a cell phone.

I tried talking myself into shooting one of them...I told myself to just shoot one of them in the head with a rage. if I hit it then great...if not no big deal.......but I figured that would not really be a compromise.....as they were only at 12 yards. ha As I stated before, I am not a very good turkey hunter...so in the past thats been my crutch as to why I will shoot a jake...but its time I stop that..so I didnt shoot any of them!

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Im amazed at the quality of pictures these new cell phones take, as that photo was taken with a cell phone.

I tried talking myself into shooting one of them...I told myself to just shoot one of them in the head with a rage. if I hit it then great...if not no big deal.......but I figured that would not really be a compromise.....as they were only at 12 yards. ha As I stated before, I am not a very good turkey hunter...so in the past thats been my crutch as to why I will shoot a jake...but its time I stop that..so I didnt shoot any of them!

A legal bird is a legal bird......if it's a trophy in your eyes shoot it. I'm by no means a turkey killing machine, however, I have taken several birds throughout the years and now I told myself I would shoot only 2YO and older. It's kind of like deer hunting, at first you will shoot anything because you're new at it. Then, once you have a few under your belt you change your "trophy" requirements.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice job getting on some birds Zack. Way to show the self control! First year hunting here, but i have vowed to eat my tag before taking a jake. Foolish? Probably. Time will tell I guess.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry if I sound arrogant J. Not the intention. Just a guy willing to eat a tag. Nothing more. Never killed one before and never hunted them before. I am okay with trying it again next year if I do not succeed this year. I am not afraid to fail.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff, man. Hopefully next time it's a few longbeards instead of jakes! It's probably a good thing you didn't shoot anyway.... With the poor penetration of those Rages, it probably would have just bounced off his head. :smiley_bril:

Kaiser878

ohio
Good stuff, man. Hopefully next time it's a few longbeards instead of jakes! It's probably a good thing you didn't shoot anyway.... With the poor penetration of those Rages, it probably would have just bounced off his head. :smiley_bril:

Maybe out of a slow Elite.......anything with the name Z28 aint worth a shit.......you shoulda known that.....look at chevys poor attempts to make a sports car. hahahahaha rotflmao
next time your around ill let ya shoot a manly bow. haha Wayner and Dale got the memo!!!!!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe out of a slow Elite.......anything with the name Z28 aint worth a shit.......you shoulda known that.....look at chevys poor attempts to make a sports car. hahahahaha rotflmao
next time your around ill let ya shoot a manly bow. haha Wayner and Dale got the memo!!!!!!!

Baaaaahahahaa You be cold as ice, mang!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sorry if I sound arrogant J. Not the intention. Just a guy willing to eat a tag. Nothing more. Never killed one before and never hunted them before. I am okay with trying it again next year if I do not succeed this year. I am not afraid to fail.

Phil, I was just fuggin with yah....... It's your call on what you put on the ground no one elses..... Now lighten up buddy...... rotflmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know J. I am not upset. Just thought I should throw it out there. Not trying to come off as a cocky person. Just what I decided and I want to stick with it. . . even if it means eating my tag for a few years. I don't think anyone is going to knock me for setting the bar high for myself, but I don't want to look arrogant in the process.