Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkeys or Coyotes?

I went out turkey hunting this morning, but didn't see or hear any turkeys. I hunted in one location the first portion of the morning and in another location in the late morning. In both locations I neither heard or seen any turkeys, BUT I did see a coyote in both locations. :smiley_chinrub:

I was thinking of going out for coyotes tomorrow, during the first couple of hours in the morning, instead of turkeys...in hopes of putting a dent in their population :smiley_blackeye: and possibly restoring some space for the turkeys and deer. Then switch weapons (rifle back to shotgun) and go back out for turkeys in the late morning.

What would you do, if you were seeing more coyotes than turkeys?
Thank you, Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been thinking about this one a bit since we got off the phone 57. I think I would still go after the turkeys, but throw an extra call or two in the pocket to lure in the coyotes if you see them. Then again, this is my first turkey season and I am pretty pumped about getting on the turkeys. If the coyotes have run the turkeys out of the area entirely, then I guess it really doesn't matter. Take both guns and leave your decoys at home. You are coyote hunting. Turkey comes through? Your call at this point I suppose.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I concur with the others... Go out for turkeys and shoot a coyote as a bonus. Lots of guys have run-ins with coyotes that come running into their turkey sets. How would you feel if you went out there carrying your coyote gear, set up in some brush, and heard a couple longbeards thunderin off up in the trees??? Bet you'd wish you were turkey hunting instead of chasing 'yotes.