Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Hunting Report

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I will be hunting the same gobbler tomorrow morning that I had the encounter with earlier in the week. Only this time I will be able to wait him out if need be ( hope need doesn't be ). He flew up to roost at 8:20 pm this evening. I mentally mapped my plan of attack. I really enjoy hunting for birds that I have a history with, as it doesn't happen all to often. Good luck tomorrow everyone. Be safe, sit behind a big tree.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck in the morning! My alarm is set, but I reserve the right to shut it off without hesitation.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Think I need to set my alarm (the Mrs) and hunt tomorrow before working. Two hrs hunting is better than none..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Same to you!! BTW, heard my first Fayette county bird this week. Wasn't hunting but still was cool. Hope they expand in the area.
There are a few in the southern part of the county, just north of Greenfield. I deer hunt closer to WCH, and heard a gobbler a few years back. I've seen two over the last 15 years there, and had one trailcam pic of a hen. Found a pile of feathers later that same year and haven't seen her since. May go up to check things out next week.

Good luck, Phil!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Called one in to about 60 yards this morning, but he ended up turning and heading to my right and going down below me on a shelf. I figured he would pop right up the hill on my lap but he turned and walked back where he came. Then got.set up on another one but he was henned up and wouldn't leave. Now I'm sitting against another tree at a different property calling every 10 minutes or so hoping to get lucky. It's been a good morning so far. I'll be out to noon. Goodluck to the rest of you that are out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sat until a little after 8 then had to get to work. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. I did bump 3 does on my way out. That was a surprise. Checked a trailcam. Coyotes one night, a couple deer and that was it for 9 days in the field. Not good. My buddy went to another farm and chased out 2 trespassers. They already killed a tom in there this week. They shouldn't have talked about it either or he wouldn't have been in there waiting on them this morning. Douchers!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I will be hunting the same gobbler tomorrow morning that I had the encounter with earlier in the week. Only this time I will be able to wait him out if need be ( hope need doesn't be ). He flew up to roost at 8:20 pm this evening. I mentally mapped my plan of attack. I really enjoy hunting for birds that I have a history with, as it doesn't happen all to often. Good luck tomorrow everyone. Be safe, sit behind a big tree.

Game over!!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Had three different birds gobbling on the roost this morning. One was within 100 yds. Got to see that one fly down. He strutted with two hens and would not leave. Had another one come through with two hens but he wanted nothing to do with the decoys either. Heard a couple gobbles after that but nothing coming in.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations, Seth! Same here.
At the risk of catching heck for shooting a chick, I will admit I killed a jake at 9:00am.:) He acted like a big bird, he gobbled like he owned the place, and it worked exactly as I described in an above post. I should throw it in here that I shot him with a gun that was given to me by my childhood hunting and fishing mentor. His name was Amos Frazier. In my eyes, he was the most woods-wise man I've ever known. He took me salmon fishing for a month at a time at his place on the Ausable River, we fished for bass and walleye together in Canada, squirrel hunted around home, deer and turkey hunted all over the southern part of Ohio. He was a great friend and mentor to a kid that was absolutely ate up with all things wild. Amos had a place on Lake Seminole in Bainbridge Ga. He lived full time there for the last 20 years or so. I didn't see him much since he had moved. He passed away last January. During one of our last conversations, he asked me what of his I would like when he passed. It was an uncomfortable conversation for me, and I tried to change the subject. He said bluntly, "Look, Brock, we've been friends for your entire life. My time is almost up, and I want you to have whatever of mine you'd like". All I could say was "Uhhh... your "long tom", and Model 37". Amos had one of the finest collections of firearms of anyone I know, yet he always turkey hunted with a Sears "long tom", and deer hunted with the 37. They seemed fitting reminders to me of a good man that meant a lot to me. Anyway, I took Amos's "long tom" to the woods today, and that sorta made that jake a trophy to me. BTW, he never flopped a feather. :)

Attachments

• IMG00337-20120428-0851.jpg
    IMG00337-20120428-0851.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And yes, every truly great, long barreled cannon should have the fore end held on with electrical tape!:)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well done Brock and Seth!

Sounds like a bittersweet hunt Brock. Had to be pretty fulfilling to harvest an animal with your friend's gun. Good for you man!

Diablo54

Outside
Congrats guys. I went out yesterday morning and had one come in to 70 yards. Then today dad went with me at first and called in 3 birds to 25-30 yards for me. I had a shot for a second but before I could do anything they slipped right back behind the brush. Dad had to go to my brothers soccer game so I went by myself ad called in a pair that came in hot to ab 80 yards and went silent. I stayed silent right with them but they must have lost interest or been spooked.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Great story there Brock.

I was out this morning for 3 hours and came up empty again. Haven't seen or even heard a bird in my last 3 trips. I'm heading to Indiana tomorrow morning to try and change this bad luck.

Huckleberry Finn

Great story there Brock.

I was out this morning for 3 hours and came up empty again. Haven't seen or even heard a bird in my last 3 trips. I'm heading to Indiana tomorrow morning to try and change this bad luck.

Are you hunting north central Ohio this year?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
DSCN0483.jpgThanks guys, and congrats to you Brock. That sounds like a hunt very close to the heart. And that gun is priceless. Nothing wrong with shooting a Jake if that's what makes you happy either. The one I killed on Monday was a Jake.

Here are the pictures of my guy from yesterday. Take note my favorite tree of the woods in the background. The one on Monday I didn't have the tripod so I didn't get that great oh a picture of. Good luck everyone, enjoy your season. I may call for a couple people a few more times, but mainly I'll enjoy sleeping in.:smiley_crocodile:

Last edited: