Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Hunting Report

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The problem comes in when you have that last tag in your pocket and fill it... then what? :)

Mason...... That will give you 2 good chances to say "Hey Buddy, whatcha say we try aimin' this time?"

One Friday off to Turkey Hunt never hurt a kid any.............. C'Mon Dad!:smiley_chinrub:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I killed some Zs this morning. Its hard enough to get up to kill things I love to hunt, so getting up to kill a fat, stinky bird is real hard! I'll go for sure Friday so I have some recon for JB when he hits SR Outfitters. With no bird roosted last night and an emotionally draining couple of days, my bed won out this morning.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had another great hunt this morning on 1.5 hours of sleep, but it was worth it. I was set up at 6:00 sharp with my spread of 2hens and a Jake with 4 to 5 toms hammering like hell for a solid hour. I wanted to set up further than I did but they were roosted about 80 yards from me the way it was and I didn't want to booger it up. A hen showed upmin front of me after walking across the field straight towards me. She walked right thru my spread and stood 7 yards right in front of me. She heard all the gobbling behind me and headed straight for those toms and started her calling. Took all 5 as it turns out with her to a property across the creek about 400 yards away. A friend called me at 10 on my way back home and said he saw them 15 yards off the road. He said all were longbeards and 4 were in full strut standing all around her. Dang whore!lol

I needed to leave at 10 to catch up on my sleep before work this evening. Prolly take tomorrow off and sleep in for a change since the weather will suck.

I did see two yote pups pop out 110 yards from across the field at 8:00 and was full prepared to body spray them if they came in. They both stood up on their back legs like a groundhog does when you whistle at them and surveyed the field. Once they saw my dekes they started my way in an attempt to sneak up on them. They came to within thirty yards of me but there was way to much brush between us for a shot. I think they either winded me or noticed something wrong when the trio didn't flush and boogied out of there.

I also had a buck come in to about 50 yards of me and snort at the dekes TOO! Even though I came home tired and skunked I had a heck of a great morning. Goodluck to everyone else! Congrats to the hunters who killed something.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like another great morning for you! That's the fun of spring time hunting, lots to see.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Dang, just got up. Set my alarm and somehow it didn't go off, I shut it off, wife, something but either way I didn't make it out. Tomorrow it is.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went. Should have stayed home. Now I want a nap and can't take one...
I checked out another property. It turned out to be a bust. I heard a couple gobbing, but not on the property I was hunting. One of them was pretty chatty, until about 8 when a gunshot shut him up. I saw two deer, and that was the highlight. If I hadn't gone to check out that farm, I'd have been wondering all week what was on it. Glad I have that out of the way now.

twireman

Kingston, OH
My brother got one this morning... 19# 11" beard. 3/4" spurs. Two year old.

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw one. Granted, I sat until 830 with nothing. I stalked and did some run 'n gun calling until around 10. Then as i was crossing the railroad track to head back towards the truck I saw a turkey sitting on the tracks. So I slid back up into some cover. I tried to call but got no response. I closed the distance to maybe 50-80 yards. I sat tight and called again. After a good long while, i got up to see if the bird had left while I was stalking. I couldn't see it during the stalk. Kept inching forward a step at a time and next thing you know that turkey had tucked tail and was running away from me. Never did see a beard. i am pretty sure it was a hen, but I was hoping if I closed the distance and could bring it out in the open, then maybe it would pull a tom out into the field as well. No such luck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Phil, prolly was a hen thats already been bred and is near her nest. I've been watching one the first three days pop out into the field I'm hunting and she feeds for about an hour or so(8:30ish to 9:30ish) then just disappears beyond my view. I bet her nest is very close by.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm presently still laying in the sack after waking up just before 12:00 checking out our site and seeing how everyone did this morning. I needed to catch up on my rest and a few things around the house that needs done. I hope those of you who went had a great hunt. I plan on going in the morning provided the weather isn't to bad.

Don't know how I missed a whole page but did! Congrats to John and his wife in taking her first bird.....and a dandy at that! Also to Milos bro and nephew who got some good birds as well.

Last edited:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Congrats to your brother twireman, I went and conquered the shitty weather after I got the kids on the bus. Nothing but a hen hanging around. Probably just as Phil and Ric have hen with a nest close by. After four days hunting I'm done till Sunday.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrat's to your Bro Twireman..... Nice Bird and Picture!

I had a little excitement 20 yds out of the truck. I clucked the very first time and a hen Exploded into flight about 10 ft from me. She scared the shit out of me..... Got to looking and found this........0426120839.jpg

Didn't hear another peep all morning and I covered about 200 acres in Coshocton.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Went Tuesday, same bird I called in Monday, hung up again at 100 yrds. Pretty sure I know which trees hes roosting in. I'll cut the corner hopefully this weekend sometime and have the GF shoot him when he lands. Joe and and I heading out in the AM after another bird. I'll be calling and video taping.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Congrat's to your Bro Twireman..... Nice Bird and Picture!

I had a little excitement 20 yds out of the truck. I clucked the very first time and a hen Exploded into flight about 10 ft from me. She scared the shit out of me..... Got to looking and found this........View attachment 6689

Didn't hear another peep all morning and I covered about 200 acres in Coshocton.

Good! Twelve eggs just like there is supposed to be. Would be a successful nest if four of them reach maturity.