Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Hunting Report

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Lets use this thread to post reports on how your hunts go.

Good luck to all the youth hunters going out tomorrow! I hope to see pictures of some successful hunts.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Went to one of my spots this morning to listen. Considering the rain and wind and cold, I wasn't expecting a whole lot. Apparently the turkeys weren't either because I didn't hear squat. Bummer... Maybe tomorrow.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang... no gobbling this morning, either! Looks like I'll be heading south tomorrow morning. Anyone else hear that they're calling for snow tomorrow?!?!?

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Birds got a late start. Heard two sounding off after 7. Snuck around, had one respond, setup without the dekes. A nice tom poped out at 70 yards looking. He gobbled to everything I threw at him, and he stayed put looking for me. He stuck around puttin on a show for a bit, then scooted. I'll make sure my decoys are out every setup now. :smiley_blackeye:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The weather doesn't look TOO shabby right now for tomorrow morning, so I think I'll make it out tomorrow. The boss man ok'd a little flex time tomorrow, so I'll be out until 8:30 or so...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I decided to go this morning after peeking out the door and it looking pretty decent as for the weather. A bit windy down here in the SW TOO. I snuck down thru the woods via a quad path and heard several hammering away around 7:30. Saw 4 big birds at the far side of a plowed beanfield. Backed out and cut down thru the timber alittle further away and hunkered down to where I could see the area they were at. After a few minutes I saw two hens pop up from the plowed field with a boss Tom in tow. Where he came from I don't know but I watched him strut for over an hour then feed out of sight. They went over a rise and thru a finger into another field. I did a few light yelps and cuts and he gobbled as he went out of sight following the two hens. I then snuck into position where he was strutting and set out a spread of 2 hens and a Jake. Hopefully he'll lose those hens soon and come back to some light calling. We shall see! Lol

I'll post my remainder hunts here from now on. I just hope I have something more to share. Lol

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Went and (attempted) to roost some birds tonight, which due to the mach 9 winds we had didnt turn out as planned. But, ill still be heading out in the morning for a few hours.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Goodluck Jake! I'm planning on going in the morning myself but getting to bed at 3:30 at the earliest leaves very little sleep. I might hunt till 10 and then crawl back in the sack. I'll see how it goes I guess. Goodluck to everyone.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, I sit here still hunting on 2 hours sleep but it almost paid off. I got to my set up at 6:20 this am but still need to arrive no later that 6 from here on out. Got lucky that I didn't bump anything or screw it up as I was hearing gobbling within 150 yards away across the creek from me. I got settled in and thought I'd just let the hens bring the toms to me naturally. Around 7, amongst all the periodic gobbling I heard a hen behind me lighting it up! She was mostly yelping and purring with a few cuts here and there but she started making her way out in front of me to a distance of 10 yards. As she was calling I had two toms hammering pretty hard coming straight in unfortunately. I just kept my gun barrel point straight out towards her hoping one of those toms past me and on out in front of me. I turned my head ever so slowly when the closest tom hammered less than thirty yards over my right shoulder. Here comes that big ole white head bobbing up thru the honeysuckle and weeds right beside me at 8 fugging yards! With my gun still point forward and my head cocked to the right he locked up and looked out into the field in front of us. The hen circled back around to my left just prior to this and still making some soft calls. Instead of him committing and coming on thru he just turned around and circled behind me to hook up with the bitch!!! Dang.... So close but that's how it goes I guess.

They eventually headed back across the creek and the last gobble I heard was about 8:45 and it sounded like a couple hundred yards away and heading away. Sooooo, I moved to another spot where I killed my Jake two years ago and sit for a spell to do some reflecting and strategizing for the rest of the season. I'll hunt till 10 cuz this fuggars tired and I need some sleep before work tonight. Lol
Goodluck to those hunting and Congrats to those who succeeded.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like a fun hunt, Ric!

I killed one at 8. 21lbs, 10" beard, 1" spurs. I think its the one Mason shot at on Saturday. It looks like half his beard has been blown off (could be from something else I guess). After Mason shot on Saturday and I got a real good look at the gobbler in a field, I noticed his beard was mighty stringy...pretty sure it's him.
BTW, I don't know if he will post the pics or not, but Mrex has been in on two kills already today, as he was yesterday...

Attachments

• IMG00335-20120424-0908.jpg
    IMG00335-20120424-0908.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 225

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice work Brock!

I went out this morning, but limited time and property lines kept me from tagging on. I'll be out tomorrow until 10, so I hope it goes better. I did get some good recon this morning, so I should be able to cut off some birds tomorrow...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Congrats on the kill Brock.

Sounds like a good morning Ric. Beener and I sat this morning with nothing other than a few really distant gobbles in the morning.