Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth Turkey hunt

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Two Jakes came in silent after 3 hens fed for awhile. The hens went to
Our left and the Jakes came from the left. Both Jakes were in a beeline to the gobbler decoy. I have video of it and will post as soon as its uploaded.
I was ready to pack it in and the action started.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335018335.326179.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335018358.261900.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats to the Cottis family! Great job! Can't wait to see the video.

Just got a call from my B-I-L and he took his son and his bros son to Indiana for youth season and they got a double this afternoon around 1:30. Both boys are 12 years old and one got a 26lb and the other just over 20lbs and both had 10+inch beards with 1" spurs.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well this morning was a great morning. Austin and I went to a new property this morning. I have been working on a guy I work with to get back into hunting. He used to be real big into water fowling but had gotten out of it since his kids came along. Well he has a son named Austin also that is 13 and I got him talked into getting himself back into hunting and introducing his son to hunting. So we went out to a property of his relatives to hunt as 2 twosomes. They set up at one corner of the field and we set up on the other. We where in the blind about 10 minutes when the first gobbler started hammer about 50 yards behind us. This made my day because we where going into this property blind and didn't really know when and where the birds where coming through. We ended up hearing 3 different gobblers on the roost. Once they flew down they went silent. About 45 minutes later I spotted some turkeys coming through the field and heading toward their setup. At the same time we had a gobbler hammer behind us and closing. The catch was that the more I was calling our gobbler in the woods I started to pull the birds off of them. My Austin and I talked about and thought it would be better for the other Austin to have the opportunity at the bird beings this was his first time hunting. So I laid the calls down and we started watching the show. He yelped a few times and got the 2 jakes to commit and close quickly. The tom however hung back for quite a while. Eventually he came in and unfortunately he missed. We heard some distant gobbling throughout the morning but couldn't get anything else to come in.

All in all it was a great morning. Heard plenty of birds watched a newbie get hooked and got my long lost hunting partner (Austin) back. We are planning on hitting another property that I am more familiar with in the morning.

Huckleberry Finn

All in all it was a great morning. Heard plenty of birds watched a newbie get hooked and got my long lost hunting partner (Austin) back. We are planning on hitting another property that I am more familiar with in the morning.

That's the most important thing. I'm so glad to hear that man, and as a faithful father, you should be proud. Good luck tomorrow and get one down!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrat's go out to the Cotty's and Ric's B-I-L.... That is Great News to hear.

Hoyt, your thoughtfulness will be repaid tomorrow...Good Luck Fellas