Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO Catch Thread

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
As a side note, I tried something I didn't think would ever fly - a catfish taco! I'm not a foodie by any stretch, but I do like to experiment sometimes.

I used a whole grain soft tortilla, some lettuce, onion. I sprinkled some lime juice on the lettuce and spread a thin layer of equal parts sour cream and mayo on half of the tortilla. The filet was seasoned with garlic salt and ground pepper and pan fried in a little butter. I thought I was going to end up with a so-so concoction but man it was really good.

We did the same thing last weekend. Kept 4 cats, soaked in buttermilk a few hours, breaded with creole seasoning, then baked until flakey. Served up on soft tortillas with salsa, lettuce, cheese and guacamole. They were awesome!!

Blan37

SW Ohio
Good stuff, Man! I cooked up some of the larger cat last night. One thing I did with the big ones was bleed them out which I've heard makes them taste better. I also soak the filets in saltwater for an hour or so. At any rate, I cut the filet into nuggets, seasoned it with Montreal Steak seasoning (basically salt, pepper, garlic), fried them up in butter and served with fries. Came out really good - even my picky ass kids liked it lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467079110.023382.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
Those larger fish taste better if you cut them into "chicken strip" sizes. Any of the fishy taste is mostly removed during the seasoning and cooking processes.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Had a good night last night at a local reservoir. Damn perch haven't been wanting anything vertical, like spreaders, jigs, etc.. Started locating them closer to shore suspended off the bottom around some balls of baitfish. Started trolling Berkely Flicker Minnows and Flicker Shad and it was game on. Ended up landing 12 perch, most of the in the 10"-12" range, 2-17" walleye, and a big catfish. Lost quite a few perch reeling them in. Those damn things do a death spin with those crankbaits and it feels like you have a 10lb walleye on. Like reeling in a damn parachute. Quite a few pulled hooks. Can't wait to get back out there after them

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice catch Red....

We tried fishing a tournament last night but it wasn't in the cards... We used my buddies boat and backed it off the trailer, picked him up then idled over to get ready to blast off.... Shut it off to talk to some buddies and when we went to start to blast off.... Nothing.... We had the same problem on Erie.... Starter solenoid went again.... Put it on the trailer, went to his place, pulled the starter and took it back this morning.... They put a new solenoid on it and I put it back on the motor and starts fine now.... No cost other then time.... Stuff happens, hopefully it won't happen again lol.... But we did go scouting last night so it wasn't a total wash lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nicely done, Red! Nothing better than perch and saugeye! I went looking for perch one day last week and was in 'em for the first 20 minutes or so, then nothing. I couldn't find anything willing to eat. Drives me nuts when my timing is off like that.