Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many years have you hunted Turkeys

j.scott

I've been hunting turkeys since 1989 and I've killed about 23 or 24 birds.Called in probly 10-12 others for buddies.Killed them with 410,20,12,10 gauges and a muzzleloader,Still looking for a bow kill.Also called 1 in for my 9yr.old daughter 2yrs. ago.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
5 years 2 birds. I'm not very serious about it.

Me either. I have hunted them 4 years (off and on) and have killed 2 toms and 2 jakes. I hate that tags are not tranferrable from spring to fall...and $24 for a resident turkey tag is crazy. I justify it because it is fun but the outlay of money compared to the potential meat is horrible. Then if you don't get one it can't be used in the fall is asinine.

For me deer hunting is fun but also great for putting some food on the table. I am not a trophy hunter so I have a different take than most. Maybe this is why it is hard for me to swallow the tag price for turkeys...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are a few turkeys in this thread killing me right now. :smiley_crocodile:

Thanks for the entertainment guys. There is a lot of experience and education I have seen on these forums. I appreciate the experience you all share so I can educate myself. Hopefully the education on this forum shortens my learning curve.

In regards to teachers, I have seen all kinds. My father has been teaching since 1969. My father in law retired with 35 years as a teacher. Some of the teachers my children have had scare the heck out of me. Unfortunately for myself, I have learned a lot from the school of hard knocks. Part of this self education has been learning how to read people and who to listen to when i want to learn something. Mike Rex has shared some valuable lessons on the boards over the years. Darron has shared some excellent food plot information I have taken notes on over the last several years as well. Thanks for the info guys! Best of luck this season! Let's talk turkeys some more.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Hicks..

well said..Im the hunter i am today because i listen and take notes from guys that have alot time in the woods. If someone is consistently successful..there's a reason.

However..dont become too good because you'll become bored and loose intrest. :)

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
On a serious note, if you think before you type, it will save you a lot of time with editing...or maybe you're like me and can't spell for shit.

Rex I spect we would all profit from that piece of advise!

mrex

*Supporting member*
Mrex, it would be fun to see the pics. Maybe we should start a "Athens County Kill" thread this year...
Heck, I'll start it so you aren't labeled as boastful. :)

I'm not sure that's such a good idea Brock. Members of the mrex fan club are dropping like flies. Ted's even pilling on...who's next? George?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not sure that's such a good idea Brock. Members of the mrex fan club are dropping like flies. Ted's even pilling on...who's next? George?

What the heck, I'll join. Screw MRex! lmao

Seriously though, I was liking the videos and info. Not trying to sound like I am brown nosing here. Gold forbid I get labeled as an Mrex band wagon man. However, I know jack diddely squat about hunting turkeys other than what I am reading here. Keep bringing the info! Keep posting the vids! Start an Athens County kill thread. What the heck? Maybe you can grow your fanboy club base.:smiley_crocodile:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
How much and who do I send a check to for the fan club? Do I get something special in the mail on my b-day? You have all those box calls in the drawer.... ;)

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio

Did not mean to pill M. Only meant to say you were a voice of reason. George would never say that! : )

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I killed my first bird, a Jake that my friend Tim Funk called in for me back around 2000-2002 or so. Killed my second bird(another Jake but nearly 20lbs.) on a solo hunt during the season before last. Could have killed another Jake last year but waited for a Tom but never happened. I never did much turkey hunting because of 1)lack of passion2)too busy doing other things3)saved all my hunting vacation time for deer only4)lack of hunting access here in the SW.

Now with more free time,hunting access and a new found interest I now consider myself as a turkey hunter. So I'd say I've been hunting 2 years and killed 1 jake and passed on another. My first bird was too long ago,called in for me,and too many years of not hunting them after it.... to count it. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I don't think I'd worry much about the fan club.
I say you post 'em on a daily basis. Maybe add a short story. I'd guess a lot of folks would get a kick out of it. Most only hunt the weekends, so keeping tabs on the daily changes throughout the week may even be helpful for some.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't think I'd worry much about the fan club.
I say you post 'em on a daily basis. Maybe add a short story. I'd guess a lot of folks would get a kick out of it. Most only hunt the weekends, so keeping tabs on the daily changes throughout the week may even be helpful for some.

Here, here. That would be cool. If you have a smart phone you could take us on a hunt with you! OK that may be asking a bit much but it would be sweet.