Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many years have you hunted Turkeys

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I'm trying to get an idea of the amount of turkey hunting expertise we have here at TOO.

How many years have you guys hunted turkeys, and how many birds have you killed in those years?

I will go first. I started hunting turks in 1992, so this will be my 21st year. I have killed a total of 43 turkeys in mainly Ohio and Indiana, and a couple birds in Kansas.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been "hunting turkeys" for 5 years. However, I would say that last year was the first year I really put any effort in it. Essentially, I've been turkey hunting for one year and have killed one bird...

twireman

Kingston, OH
I started hunting turkeys when I was 16. I will be 29 this month. Only hunted Ohio. I've killed 12 and seen numerous others fold up when I've been calling. Love me some turkey!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Since 1985, and I have no idea how many I have shot. I often go three or four years without killing one. One year, I only hunted about three hours between the first two days and filled both tags - won't make that mistake again!

Huckleberry Finn

Serious attempts? 3 years, 2 birds.

There were also 2 years of hunting the last three days of season, unsuccessfully.

Won't be hunting this year

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This will be my 5th spring turkey hunting and I've killed 4 birds so far. Hoping this year will result in my first multi-bird season.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I think this will be my 10th season. Completely self taught, had no idea what I was doing for the first few. I've only taken 4 gobblers and 1 jake. Currently, I'm on a 2 year drought.:smiley_blackeye:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
About 22 or 23 yrs. Killed my first one when I was 18. I am 35 now. The first one was the hardest. Since then it got lots easier. No idea how many I have killed. Around 30 or so plus I have called a fair number to the gun. I I had a few rough yrs when i first moved to SW Ohio. Then once I got a few spots I did OK. Killed birds in 7 Ohio counties . Hope to add 2 more counties this yr after moving.

Last edited:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
5 years. Spent years 1 and 2 getting schooled...have rebounded to take 4 birds across the past 3 years.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
My Mom and I started hunting together in 1991. In 93 I killed my first and I have no idea how many Ive taken since, it kinda all runs together between my birds and the ones my Mom has shot with the other people Ive introduced to the Spring game. I know there has not been a year since my first bird that one hasn't took the dirt nap by either my Mom or I.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Year one for me. I will let you know after the season if I have any to show for my efforts.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This will be my third spring season and I would have killed one last year if we where aloud to hunt with hand grenades. LOL

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I hunted Turkey for five years until I ran into an asshole on State ground who threatened to shoot me because I was hunting "his" turkey. I left and have never been back out!