Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not finding sheds.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I found out why I not finding shed on this place. If you enlarge the pic of the deers butt to right of the wild grape vines ,you can see the width of this thing.

These 3 went thru about 20min before him and theres a good size one with them does.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good luck finding them later CF. I looked pretty hard on Sunday (4 hours) on a 600 acre property with no luck. Saw 13 deer up close and none were sporting head gear. The majority were bucks TOO...

camofry

*Supporting Member*
That is what I was thinking Jesse. At our county Big Buck Contest this year, we had one the looked like it dident lose a side last year and this years grow out and kind of moved the old one at the base. I dont know thats what happend, it just look as if the one horn was a lot older. I will see if I can find the pics I took of it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It will really be interesting to see what happens. I think there are many more deer still holding antlers right now, most likely due to lower stress levels as a result of a mild winter. One would think that a mild winter equating to healthier bucks would then result in increased antler growth the following season. Will that be the case? Or will the later-than-normal antler drop delay new antler growth? I don't have a clue. My hunch is that any delayed growth will be negated by the early abundance of green vegetation, and we won't notice any difference in antler production.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It will really be interesting to see what happens. I think there are many more deer still holding antlers right now, most likely due to lower stress levels as a result of a mild winter. One would think that a mild winter equating to healthier bucks would then result in increased antler growth the following season. Will that be the case? Or will the later-than-normal antler drop delay new antler growth? I don't have a clue. My hunch is that any delayed growth will be negated by the early abundance of green vegetation, and we won't notice any difference in antler production.

My line of thinking runs with yours JB. But here is some food for thought, this was Moe just over 30 days from where we sit now. He was still holding his rack as of March 6th last year...

This is the only pic I could find , But it just looks like a new horn grew right thru a old one.

Sure does. Craziness...

Kaiser878

ohio
Its not really all that odd for bucks to still be carrying their racks this time of year. THe deer in my area are notorious for holding on until early to mid april. In the past I have seen bucks with antlers when I was finding mushrooms. I just saw a buck sunday that had both sides still.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Last year I saw a small buck (1 or 2 year old) that was holding both sides the day before the turk season opener. That was the latest I've ever seen one hold on. Not sure what ever became of that deer...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am leaning towards one of the best seasons ever. Still dependent upon nutrients and water in the next 3-4 months, but we are at the start of one of the best antler growing seasons we have seen in awhile if I had to guess. They should all be dropped very soon though. Fastest growing bone known to man. At an inch per day, we should have a ton of 120" deer by the start of August if they all begin growing today. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
if that is indeed last years left side, he sure made a jump. Thanks for sharing Camofry. That buck in your OP is a hoss! Goodluck finding his sheds.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My neighbor told me he saw a dead buck laying in a yard in West Chester(1hour north of Cincy) that had both sides still and it was a monster. Prolly road kill but the impact didn't even knock the fuggars off. WTH?