Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Footage from my fall

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Dale, I know the harness failed, but what the heck happened to it? Was it properly put on? Was there a defect?

What actually failed was the buckle on the linemans belt, not the harness its self. You can here the "ting" sound in the video. Was it put on correctly, yes. Was there a defect, I don't know. You would think that there was because of what happened. About a month after that accident is when I was able to make it back out to that spot, and it was literally 3ft under water. Sadly, it remained under water for the whole season. Never could get out there to look for the buckle, or finish hanging those stands. I do plan on getting there within the next couple of weeks, I would be surprised if I find anything.

Last edited:

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Guys, I just want to say a big thank you for all the warm welcome backs and glad you made its. I just finished that video this past Sat morning. I Sat on it for quite awhile just trying to get some direction in which way I wanted to go with it. I wanted it to really shake people up emotionally, because their life and some little kid, like my Mason that was in that video deserves to have their daddy home with them every night. Any of you that have friends and family that don't wear a harness, please show them this. If that doesn't work I will gladly have a talk with them...lol.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Glad to hear your alright now Dale. Sure is a wake up to us all. Even when precautions are taken, something can still go wrong. Thanks Again For Sharing This!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Very scary, anything and everything can and will happen in this world. Glad you were able to recover quickly and did not suffer greater injuries. Hopefully everyone stays safe this year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dale, thanks for sharing and it's a very good reminder how things can change in an instant and how vulnerable life can be at times.... It's a good learning tool and share it as much as possible too get the word out so others may just think twice before hanging their next stand..... Glad all is well with you after all of this.....

Not too pry but did you have any problems afterwords other than physically? Any new phobias?

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Dale, thanks for sharing and it's a very good reminder how things can change in an instant and how vulnerable life can be at times.... It's a good learning tool and share it as much as possible too get the word out so others may just think twice before hanging their next stand..... Glad all is well with you after all of this.....

Not too pry but did you have any problems afterwords other than physically? Any new phobias?

Nope, I am pretty good. The very first time after the accident climbing a tree using the screw in steps and a lock-on was a little difficult. Of course it was an early morning hunt so I did it in the dark. I death gripped every step on the way up and once I made it to the stand I had a 45 sec panic attack. I literally froze and couldn't move. I finally swallowed the lump in my throat and pressed on and got in the stand. I bear hugged that big ol cherry tree so hard I think it's thinner now in that area...lol. After that hunt though I have been good mentally as far as getting back at it. I now use the HSS Life Line system on all my lock-ons. What a piece of mind knowing your tied in from the time your feet leave the ground till the time they touch back down.

Dale, I am so glad you took the time to finish the video and pass it on to all of us out there. It was heart wrenching to watch but the message was clear. Thank God you survived such a fall and were able to walk to and climb a tree so quickly after. To read that you heard a noise from your buckle breaking to actually hearing it and what followed will always be engrained into my brain. One thing is for sure, I will continue to inspect my equipment as I have since your fall and if anything looks suspect I will replace it with even better.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dale thanks for the answer I was looking for.... I have always wondered how I would handle a fall like that.... I use ladder stands exclusively anymore or just make a ground blind.... hopefully none of us experience what you have gone through....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Scary stuff for sure Dale. So glad that you're alright, and that you decided to share that video with us all.

Up until about 7 years ago I never even bothered wearing a harness. Always seemed to be in the way and I felt restricted. Then my son was born and that season I had a whole new perspective on things. I've worn a harness just about every time out since then, and do not feel comfortable hunting at all without one. I always pray for a safe and successful hunt before I head out in the field.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow, I can't add much more than what everyone else has already said Dale but just glad you weren't hurt worse. The thought of paralysis just sucks the breath out of me knowing that could have happened to you or anyone for that matter. This is definitely an eye opener and thank you for sharing. God was definitely watching over you brother!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Glad you are OK. I would have a tough time getting back in a tree so soon.

So, what actually caused the injuries? I know, you fell from a tree. But but did you hit your head and leg on something on the way down, or was the gash in your head from the impact with the ground?

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Glad you are OK. I would have a tough time getting back in a tree so soon.

So, what actually caused the injuries? I know, you fell from a tree. But but did you hit your head and leg on something on the way down, or was the gash in your head from the impact with the ground?

When the linemans belt let go and I started to fall back I tried to grab the stand. As I was doing I had my right foot on a screw in tree step. My foot slid forward and off the step causing the step to go up my pant leg on the back side of my leg. At the time I started falling the step was to my calf, as I went backwards and upside down the step must off got stuck to my calf and it wouldn't support my weight. So basically the screw in tree step punctured into my calf and the V shape is it ripping my calf open as I fell. As far as my head goes, in the video you can see a tree saw hanging in the tree. As I was upside down and falling my head went right down along side the blade causing the cut. Now here is the crazy part. I did not have one mark, one scratch, one bruise...not even a sore muscle from the impact to the ground. I remember it all very clearly. It all happened so fast though, I remember my leg ripping open and I remember my head getting cut. My head felt like a bee sting at first, right when it happened. I remembered hitting the ground...it was like someone laid me down. I am telling you, its not natural to fall upside down 22ft and not have even a sore muscle afterwards...some have mentioned angels...yep, you better believe it. If I did not suffer the cuts during the fall I would of literally just got up, dusted myself off and probably would of went back up and finished my stands...lol. I will say though once I was to the ground...holy cow, did my head and leg hurt...lol.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I will say though once I was to the ground...holy cow, did my head and leg hurt...lol.

Understatement of the year right there! :smiley_crocodile:

I pulled a stand yesterday and I'll admit, my butthole was puckered up tighter than normal! All I could think about was your video Dale. So it definitely left a lasting impression on me...

Huckleberry Finn

This came to my mind the other day.

We have a lot of new members that ought to watch this.

With pre-season stands being hung and the day-to-day getting into our stands upcoming, this is a chilling safety reminder.