Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio WMA's... and their utter lack of management

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think it's about money at all... or having any hoops to jump through... At least, it better not be. The main premise of the DOW's mission statement is to manage Ohio's wildlife for the benefit of everyone... including the wildlife themselves. By not managing the WMAs properly... By not cutting the mature timber... By letting the radicals control what goes on... they are going completely against the grain of their own mission statement. It doesn't matter if one species suffers habitat loss if you're benefitting the thousands of other flora and fauna.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo- I don't think he is pulling my leg. Might be the very simplified version, but I have zero reason to doubt him. This is a man of utmost credibility in my eyes. This is why I have been very vague. I don't want him to have any more problems than the headaches he already has to deal with. I am sure there are still permits, fees, fines, etc. He simply doesn't fight them anymore. He just pulls in and tells them "Here is what we want to do. What permits do we need? What are the fines, fees? Who do I make the check out to?" Hoytmania- I have zero doubt the costs are simply passed onto the customers. In the case of the ODNR, I am thinking the money returned from logging would defer the costs.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well i would like to hear how he paid off the fed's...that make my job that much easier. Maybe he can get me a bald eagle tag while he is at it too

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
do you even know what the issue is with bats and trees?

I do not. I would imagine the trees are either their habitat, the way they bounce the soundwaves off them to hear, or they attract certain insects the bats like to eat. I honestly do not care. The point is, those bats can be paid for. Just depends on how bad you need the trees gone.

Huckleberry Finn

Bullshit..

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Endangered/mammals/inba/index.html

were talking a FEDERALLY ENDANGERED SPECIES...

x2, and once on the federally engangered species, there is no turning back.

I've seen companies spend serious to start a development project (think 300 foot towers with 100 foot blades), and then they get to the avian study and it's bye-bye for the project. And we're talking companies that make Sylendra look like a mom and pop firm...and those guys lose their sleep over the damn bat.

Didn't know the mafia operated in that part of the state, I guess!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You could be right. Might have been a different bat or different critter where these methods work. My point is still in the fact that many of the hoops they want you to jump through is all about money. Fill out this permit and give us 20g. Okay, now fill out this permit for another 10g. Now that these two permits are done, go put a biologist on your payroll for another 55g. Okay, now hire a geologist. Don't ask. Just go find one. Okay. Now you can fill out this permit for 15g. Now go find a. . . . .they are hoops to jump through in efforts to crank up government revenue.

In the case of the bat, maybe there are more hoops. Maybe they drag it out longer. One way or another though, the work goes on and the bats find a new home. If it isn't bats, it is something else. This is how these radical organizations work. They will find a moth. They will find a tree they like. Doesn't matter. If a company is doing something they are not a big fan of, then they will find a way to slow down the progress. Pretty much like politicians. If people are working and making money, they will find a way to screw it up.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And don't get me started on the brown bats! We have had to stop right of way clearing twice for them, yet timber companies are allowed to cut during the time period where we are shut down. Make zero sense...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Eastern Garter snake is considered "endangered". Just sayin...

That makes me see both points. The more on the list the more people they can extort. But the truelly endangered shit is hard "pay" for.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Eastern Garter snake is considered "endangered". Just sayin...

That makes me see both points. The more on the list the more people they can extort. But the truelly endangered shit is hard "pay" for.

The eastern garter is neither endangered or threatened... It's merely on the state's "Species of Concern" list, which doesn't really mean squat.

There's a big difference between threatened and endangered, and between state endangered and federal endangered. The indiana bat is federally endangered... and there's absolutely no way you can pay your way through that red tape. Hell, you're not even allowed to fart next to a federally endangered species. Companies like to complain about permits and regulation, especially big companies... and they're usual argument is that "it's all about money." It's about the environment, plain and simple.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hmm...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333128738219.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333128738219.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 116

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
different species than what we have around here..thats a sub species..

Yep. Eastern Garter and the Plains Garter are different. Plains Garter is endangered... Eastern is not. Sorry, Beener... it's neither here nor there... splitting hairs really.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
There were also a bunch of others I have seen that made me shake my head. But my point was the more animals on the endangered list the more the agenda can be pushed and moneys extorted.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There were also a bunch of others I have seen that made me shake my head. But my point was the more animals on the endangered list the more the agenda can be pushed and moneys extorted.

So are you implying that species are added to the list simply to push an agenda and extort money through permits??? I don't know about you, but I've never seen an animal or plant on an endangered or threatened list that didn't deserve to be there. What others were making you shake your head?